How can I get my 6 month old more interested in a sippy cup?

My son's pediatrician told me to start him on a sippy cup. I just attempted recently and he has NO interest in it at all. He just chews on it, and he doesn't care much for juice either.

KellansMama13

Asked by KellansMama13 at 10:59 PM on Oct. 29, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• why does he NEED to start?? if he doesnt NEED juice and there is no reason to start with a sippy then i wouldnt do it...hes obviously not ready and not interested....my nephew never used a sippy...he went straight to cups...sometimes it seems easier for them to learn...
    mamagee1218

Answer by mamagee1218 at 11:02 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Well first off, I wouldn't give him juice -- just formula or breastmilk, or water. Juice has way too much sugar. If he's constipated or something that it can certainly help but otherwise, there is no need for it. My kids are 6 and 16 months and they are still drinking mainly milk! As far as the sippy goes, neither of my kids took a sippy until closer to 1. I think 6 months old is a little too young, and sometimes, kids just hate them! You can keep reintroducing it or try different kinds. But I wouldn't worry about it too much yet. Enjoy babyhood :) It doesn't last very long!
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 11:04 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• It's still too early to expect the baby to actually want a sippy cup. Just wait a bit longer, and then introduce it.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 11:07 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Just put a little water (or milk) in it and let him keep trying. He'll get it when he's ready. I started out just trying once or twice and day, and when he started to get he hang of it I gave them to him at each meal. I don't think I really started with my son until about 7 or 8 months if I remember correctly though. My son never liked the cups with the valves, we used the Take n Toss sippy cups and later straw cups.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 11:08 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I would just make it available. He will pick up on it soon enough. DS started demanding his milk in a cuppy instead of bottle at 11mos. It will come, just keep it as an option. Might just get one that pours (without the stopper) and put some water in it so he gets the idea that drinks come from the cuppy too.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 11:09 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Give him time. Keep giving it to him. A baby isn't going to take to it like a duck takes to water with only 1 attempt. It takes weeks, even months, which is why it's such a good idea to start introducing it so early. And I strongly suggest putting breastmilk or formula in it (whichever baby normally gets), not juice.
    Anonymous

• Sounds like your pediatrician might be rushing it a bit
    Carolannie

Answer by Carolannie at 11:12 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I think he's rushing it too. I haven't tried to give it to him anymore. He's breastfed so he's hardly used to a bottle..much less a sippy. I thought he was too young for it too, but I didn't want to undermine the doctor's opinion. :/ Just needed some other mommies' opinions (:

-I'll keep it open as an option, but not force it until he's ready. Thank you!
    KellansMama13

Comment by KellansMama13 (original poster) at 11:25 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I started to give my DD a sippy at 6 months. She just chewed on it for many months. I think she started actually drinking from it around a year. The rest of the time she nursed (and only nursed.) I don't think she took to it any earlier or later than her brothers because of the early introduction. My youngest actually took a sippy around 11 months because he got a cold and it hurt less. I just pumped and he drank from the sippy.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 11:31 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Um I think 6 months is a little young to start using a sippy cup...especially since the majority of the time he's either going to be breastfed or having formula. We didn't start giving my son a sippy cup until he was almost a year old...10 months maybe. And we never give him juice...EVER. He drinks water and milk only. Water during the day and milk during meals. I don't see the need for juice. Water is so much better for them. I wouldn't worry about it, doctors these days try and keep moving things younger and younger when its completely unnecessary. Nothing bad is going to happen if he doesn't start using a sippy cup until he's older so its no big deal.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 11:32 PM on Oct. 29, 2010