Do you take an antacid for heartburn & indigestion?

Which brand do you think is better?

I've been using Tums Extr Strenth.

earlgrey

Asked by earlgrey at 11:26 PM on Oct. 29, 2010 in Health

• I personally have a few since I get pretty bad heartburn at times. Regular brand tums smoothies, pepto bismo (store brand or regular) extra strength and milk. I ALWAYS drink a glass of milk before bed because of how bad my heartburn normally is and most nights I still get up and take a dose or two of tums. GL, and I know how bad it sucks :(
    jnsdrf

Answer by jnsdrf at 11:31 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• The store brand tums.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:27 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• i like tums. they work for me
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 11:28 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• If it's bad, I take some generic tums or drink a big glass of 2%. That always cures it for me.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 11:31 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I use Tums all the time and they work for me.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:22 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• I use rolaids or tums whichever I have on hand but I always get extra strength
    ajc88

Answer by ajc88 at 10:55 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• I used to take Tums all the time, but learning which foods to stay away from is what really worked best for me.

If you can take the time to record all your meals and snacks for a few days, and note what upsets your system, it will be worth the effort.

For me, just avoiding heavy (high fat), spicy, or sugary foods was all it took. I don't think I even have any Tums anymore. Though...come to think of it, I do have alka seltzer for bedtime on the days that I "treat myself" and have a heavy or rich meal with alcohol too. (You know -- like the big family BBQ with lots of drinks and ribs and potato salad and pies and junk.) We can't be good all the time. ;-)
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 4:52 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• I used to take Axid, but it is too expensive, so I started using Tums Extra. They don't work as well as Axid, but they have the added benefit of being a Calcium supplement. I don't get enough in my diet.   ss_mom,  those foods bother me too-especially spicy,  so I never eat it. Heavy & sugary foods, I  limit.   It's been occurring a little more often lately, even with watching what I eat.  I'm thinking it's stress related.

Thanks for the input, ladies!

earlgrey

Comment by earlgrey (original poster) at 7:02 PM on Oct. 30, 2010