How much would you pay a photographer for you family photos #2

I asked the question how much would you pay and uneducated photographer to do your family photos Iam a self tought photographer who reads and studys on my own. I charge anywhere from 150 to 250 this is a 1-2 hour shoot that comes with a disk of 30 images and 10 edited . I also do my own printing . I had someone tell me I charge to much for not being formaly trained in this traid here is my blog with some of my work as well as the rates http://tskphotos.blogspot.com/ what do you think?

tskmom83

Asked by tskmom83 at 11:44 PM on Oct. 29, 2010 in Money & Work

• I think it all depends on where you live and what you want to make out of it. I currently just started my business and I only charge $50 an hour til the end of the year. I have a friend that does pics also (She has been doing it for 4 years) and charges $75 and hour. I recently did a wedding and charge $550, but I was also there for 5 hours, Before Posed shot, during wedding shots, and reception!

Do I think $150 is a little to much... yes. But like I said it all depends on what the going rate is in your town, city, or state. I would price check the businesses around you and go from there.
    Motherof4_2008

Answer by Motherof4_2008 at 3:46 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• I'm professionally trained and I can't take pictures that good! My speciality is more fine art, not people. I think what you are charging is going rate. How do you do your printing though? I wouldn't want inkjet pictures, but if they are just thrown in with your packages as a bonus I think that's great.
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 11:57 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Oh no no ink jet of site company that does profesinal prints
    tskmom83

Comment by tskmom83 (original poster) at 11:58 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I wish I had you to my wedding pics,The lady that did ours did a shitty job.I would pay what you charge.
    bucky77

Answer by bucky77 at 12:14 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Love the pics!! Beautiful job!! If your prices are in keeping with other photographers then you are charging correctly. You do not have to be professionally trained in order to take good pics. It is a talent like many other things. The more you do it the more experienced you are and that is the key to me. I want an experienced photographer. Showing your customers your portfolio and asking for references is all they should need to make their decision. There will always be those who feel someone charges too much for anything. Good luck............much success!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:17 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• I paid my wedding photographer 200-ish for my wedding (she is good family friend too). My wedding was about 2-3 hours long recep included...
    So I say your rate is great one....
    WAH_Mama

Answer by WAH_Mama at 1:00 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• I think you do charge too much for not having training. My husband was a photographer in the Navy, trained in photography and journalism, and he's able to charge folks $300 for an "everything" session. People will trust him because he's had the training and don't have a problem paying hi9m $300 or more for photos. We also do our own printing.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 2:37 PM on Nov. 1, 2010