what do you do wen the teachers tell you that your kid has ADHD ??

Don't like that you mite have to put your kid on mads ??

conniedunn

Asked by conniedunn at 12:13 AM on Oct. 30, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Um, teachers aren't doctors. I'm sure they know the warning signs because they work with kids. But ultimatley he needs to be screened and diagnosed by a professional, then diecide what to do.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 12:15 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• You go to your pediatrician and get a referral for a good therapist who specializes in testing for ADHD and other disorders like it in order to rule it out. If they cannot rule out ADHD, then you can discuss treatment options with the therapist at that time. Meds for improperly diagnosed kids will do more harm than good. My dd has ADHD, and it took us two years, a lot of testing and a couple doctors to get to that diagnosis. We are still not on meds, that's our choice for now.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 12:17 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• if they see signs then have them evaluated by a professional. go from there. usually ADHD kids are a handfull at home too and you would proly know. the meds, if needed can help tremendously but i also believe that many kids are mis-diagnosed and the adhd label and meds are a quick assumption. I have an ADHD kid here and when he starts skipping his morning pill we have issues. and its calls from school asking whats the deal? lol good luck, i hope you get it all sorted , for your kids sake.
    stepho345

Answer by stepho345 at 12:21 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• in my state teachers are NOT allowed to straight up say a child has ADHD...it's a no-no. They can hint about it, and it's up to the parent to get that hint or not.
    uglyrose

Answer by uglyrose at 12:41 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Well, I homeschool, but I would probably ignore the teachers, honestly.
    misselphaba

Answer by misselphaba at 2:00 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Teachers aren't qualified to tell anyone a child had ADD. Teachers can describe the issues a student is having in class and suggest speaking to a doctor about it. But if a teacher tells your child has ADD you need to ask to see their medical license.

maxswolfsuit

Answer by maxswolfsuit at 9:13 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• It's not a teachers place to make that assumption.
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 10:10 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• teachers are not drs. ALTHOUGH they can be familiar with the signs. If a teacher feels that perhaps an evaluation is in order I'd suggest doing it ... btw, it SHOULD be (according to what I've read) rule out EVERYTHING FIRST then ADD...
    but in MY state (Fl) and I suspect in many ohters a teacher CANNOT tell a parent that a child has ADD -- they can suggest that an evaluation maybe in order etc.
    I feel your pain b/c I have sim. issues with my ds...
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 9:29 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• I agree with the others. A teacher cannot say if your kid does or does not have ADHD. If they think it is a concern then you should speek with your child's doctor.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 12:03 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• I'd ask to see their medical degree in behavioral health. o.O
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 2:14 PM on Oct. 31, 2010