I'm almost quitting breastfeeding....and I don't want too....but it's so hard to keep it up.

My milk is almost gone, my work is impossible to pump at, and now she has teeth and she drew blood on my nipple today. It's been 8 months and I'm tired of trying to keep it up, but I feel horrible. Am I a bad mom?

P.S I know it's the best thing to do for her, but I don't think I can keep it up

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:40 PM on Oct. 30, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No no no! You are NOT a bad mom! It's great that you've made it this far. I didn't last past 6 weeks but I was having problems and growth issues iwth the little one. So in the end, formula was best for the both of us. I felt bad too, but remember you are doing what's best for both you and baby. If you are misearble when you breastfeed then you're not going to be bonding as well with the little one. Consider just feeding morning and nights or pumping morning and nights and bottle/sippy cup feed. That way baby still gets something. Congrats for making it so long!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:52 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• You are definitely not a bad mom. You can only do what you can do...and if it isn't working out for you, then that's the way it is and you are definitely not a worse mother for it. Out of curiousity...what state do you live in?
    sophiafarris

Answer by sophiafarris at 10:43 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• NO not at all..I breast fed and tried to pump at work...it was so hard b/c i was a manager at a retail store that was always calling for the Manager........I couldn't tell the people okay tell the customer to wait I have one breast to go...so i ultimitaly had to stop.....I stopped at 5 months..Hope this help...I know you are not a bad mom...
    Anonymous

• I just wanted so bad to keep it up. Thank you guys. I live in Oregon btw
    Anonymous

• I live in oregon as well. I am a BF. My son is 7 almost 8 months old and its hard right now to BF. He's weining himself gradualy which hopefully it takes at least another 4-5 months longer. I pump while I'm at school. He eats 4 times a day off me and then baby food and snacks the rest. I tried doing only BF but he won't. I understand what your going through only that its your body ready to stop not your child. You can pump at your work no matter where you work. I read your post and got that you do one side at a time? get a double and it only takes 10 min. WIC gives them to you if you qualify. Good Luck and best wishes your not a bad mom!
    motherofzander

Answer by motherofzander at 11:01 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• Don't get down on yourself and feel your a bad mom...You aren't!! You have bf for 8 months, if you have to stop your child still has had all the benefits for this long. Your a GREAT mom for doing it this long. Be proud of yourself. Lots of mom's don't do it at all!
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 11:34 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• Well first off i want to congradulate you for exclusivly breastfeeding for eight months- this is a big accomplishment you should be proud of you self, i had to stop when my son was 3 months old. ANd i wouldnt put yourself through all the pumping when hardly nothing comes out (thats what happened to me) it gets pretty depressing. Just congradulate yourself for the accomplishment of giving your baby the best start at life. :)
    ldc90

Answer by ldc90 at 12:12 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• There's a law in Oregon State that requires any business that employs more than 50 employees to give you 2 extra 30 minute, unpaid breaks per day (in addition to your other breaks) in order to pump. They are also required to provide you a room other than a bathroom. It may be something worth mentioning to your boss. Check out this link for more information: http://compensation.blr.com/display.cfm/id/155577

Also, if your milk supply is decreasing, you can always try using fenurgreek or mother's milk. I have to pump at work, and fenugreek has really helped boost my supply so I've been able to keep up.

Best of luck!
    kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 1:21 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• Are you exclusively pumping? Besides pump output (which means nothing) why do you think your supply is low? Do you need to pump (ie do you work, are you often seperated from baby)? Why do you think your milk is gone? At 8 mos, when babe bites, take the breast away immediatly. They'll soon stop biting :)
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:01 PM on Nov. 1, 2008