Is there something wrong with teaching your 15mos old sign language along with saying words at the same time.

SHould you wait until the child can fully speack sentences before teaching them a different language

FayMeek

Asked by FayMeek at 12:19 AM on Oct. 30, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I don't think that there is anything wrong with it. I plan to try to do it with my kids when I have them, and I've seen my friends do it with their kids and it helps you to know what they want. They teach them basic things like "more" "drink" "hungry" "please" and those kinds of things...

GOOD LUCK!!!!
    dlandrum

Answer by dlandrum at 12:21 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• No, DS is learning Japanese and Spanish as well as English, and we hear all the time how talkative he is and how well he speaks. It will help him later in life. It also stimulates parts of the brain used to learn other languages, so that they can pick up on new ones even better and faster. Even ASL will work this way, and help him learn English better, because he will connect the words with a physical movement. I say kudos to you!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:22 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Our daycare taught my son sign language at 9 months and he did very well with both saying the work and signing. Now at 2 he still sometimes signs his words as he's saying them. My very blond best friend was over one day and she was like "wow he talks with his hands a lot". I had to break it to my friend that it was sign language. :)
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 12:24 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• thats the best thing you can do for you child. they say that children who are tought to sighn will learn to speak sooner and will comunicate better. we have been teacher our 18mo sighn since he was about 9months old. Im glad we have because hes had so mnay ear infections thats its effected his hearing so uptill we put tubes in he wasnt hearing us clearly. he now has tubes in and his earing is perfect but if it wasnt for sighn he would be way behind.
    Jaxsmommy09

Answer by Jaxsmommy09 at 12:28 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• No not at all. That would be great. I have a family member who can not hear so we have to sign but I never thought about teaching DS. Then again DH would have no clue what he was saying if he just signed lol. When a child is young is the best time to teach them new languages. You just have to teach them how they are different and how to not mix them together.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:29 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• The younger the better to learn whatever you want to teach them. The best time for them to learn is between new born and 5 years old because their brain is developing so they can learn different languages or anything that is available to them.
    bratgirln1

Answer by bratgirln1 at 12:49 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Definitely not! Teaching a child sign language even before they are verbal can help them become verbal sooner, and be less frustrated while they're still learning to talk, because they can communicate.
    Reenieredhead

Answer by Reenieredhead at 1:16 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Children's brains can absorb different languages the easiest until age 8 (give or take a couple of years), so don't worry about it being too much for your child to handle. Don't push them, but don't stop because the child isn't speaking in complete sentences yet. I think that learning sign language while learning the words associated with the signs is a great idea, actually. It's just one more language skill that your toddler has and one more way that they can associate what they're saying to something real (physical).
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 2:46 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Personally both my children learned sign language from birth it enhances their vocabulary. I have taken ASL in college as well as infant toddler development and babies are born with the ability to communicate but can't because their voice isn't developed. the voice is one of the last thing a baby learns to use. think about it what do they discover first. HANDS. my son said his first sign at 4 months. from 4 months on he told me if he wanted milk. and because of this my children are very advanced in their speech skills. Everyone who meets my daughter is like HOW OLD IS SHE?? because she is so tiny, but very well spoken. She's two and speaking full complete sentences mommy please may I have a drink of milk. Trust me SIGNING IS GOOD. Especially when the child is not 2 yet at 15 months baby is still learning to talk, which can get very frustrating. Thus begins terrible twos but with signing baby can sign what the problem
    axandra85

Answer by axandra85 at 6:44 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• is without throwing tempet tantrums. my son didnt go thru the terrible two's. SO SIGN YOUNG SIGN OFTEN IT HELPS
    axandra85

Answer by axandra85 at 6:45 AM on Oct. 30, 2010