What do you think of?

What do you think of when you hear Autism?

I am not looking for rude ignorant answers. I have an 8 year old with autism and I am honestly wondering what people think. Please refrain from using the word retard. Thanks.

kansasmom1978

Asked by kansasmom1978 at 12:32 AM on Oct. 30, 2010 in Kids' Health

• i think - interesting/challenge.... seems like they are so individualistic... but also more taxing... but they say if you have seen one kid with autism, you have seen one kid with autism. (like that you cannot generalize about it because it varies so much person to person)
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 2:19 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• I wrote a paper on Autism for college and I found it quite alarming the rate of increase over the last 20 years. There were accusations of Autism being related to immunizations as well as the changing environment. I feel extremely sad for families that have children with Autism. I wish there were more studies and research being done- ways to find answers quickly. I also recently watched The World of Jenks on tv and Jenks hung out with a teenager that was autistic, and that young man had such a beautiful personality, great humor, and wonderful character. It is sad that society often does not give them credit for the super human beings that they are.
    Sharell8710

Answer by Sharell8710 at 12:50 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• I think of my two nieces who have made teaching those with autism their life's work. I am amazed that when I see them-about once a year- there are always new things they are telling me about improved methods that they're using.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 9:05 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• I think of challenge.

That's not necessarily a "bad" thing. With challenges comes learning. There's a broader scope to the learning process for both Autistic Children and their families. Because of this, I get the feeling that those families dealing with the diagnosis have a better all around sense of what's going on with their child.
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 9:11 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• that it takes a strong mom to mother a child with autism, they are very special and kind and loving children, and can really make a difference in someones life...
    asil

Answer by asil at 11:23 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• I don't agree with the immunizations link. I think it's more that it's accurately being diagnosed. Used to be they were considered behaviorly disturbed and committed. And please don't feel sad for us, we are not sad. We are very fulfilled.
    kansasmom1978

Comment by kansasmom1978 (original poster) at 12:52 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• I just think of how strong those kids have to be. It's not easy and they overcome so many challenges that the rest of us could't even dream of.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 1:56 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• Special needs. Autism is such a complex thing, it's really hard to nail it down.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 6:44 PM on Oct. 31, 2010