Where do you go in hopes to get a book published?

I am in the process of writing my first novel; something I've wanted to do since I was a young girl. But I'd like to know where to start in hopes of getting it published. I'd like time to work out the details before I have finished writing. Thanks!

Sharell8710

Asked by Sharell8710 at 12:33 AM on Oct. 30, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• Once the book is written you will want to send it out to a number of publishers, out of those who contact you back you may or may not receive some offers to print. From there I advise you have an attorney to read through contracts and whatnot and then choose one to go with. Your best bet is to google yourself a list of publishers that work with your type of book and start to make a list of contact information. This way you will have all that information when the time does come.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:51 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Do you find a lawyer beforehand so your work or ideas from your work do not get stolen and used elsewhere?
    Sharell8710

Comment by Sharell8710 (original poster) at 12:54 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• You probably don't need to worry about them being stolen, but you can protect yourself with a "poor man's copyright" Mail a copy of your manuscript to yourself. Don't open it. The sealed copy with a postmark on it gives you proof of when your material was finished.

You can also check out the Writer's Market Books, there is an annual book for all types of writing, and one for novelists as well. Consider joining the Romance Writer's of America, even if you are not writing a romance, it's a great resource for connections and support, there are also a lot of other writing groups and organizations, check to see what's in your area.

Good Luck!!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 1:03 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• If you want to publish the book yourself - try LuLu.com. You can sell the book through them and they have all sorts of answers to legal-type issues, etc. as well.
    JustMyOpinion22

Answer by JustMyOpinion22 at 12:26 PM on Nov. 3, 2010