my son doesn't talk... should i be worried?

My son is almost 15 months and he doesn't speack. I mean he has a lot to say in baby language but he is not speaking in any language I'm familiar. I don't know what else I can do. I point out things, read to him, sing to him, and everyone talks to him. I'm not sure how I can egg him on to add even just one word to his vocabulary.

starlit_kissez

Asked by starlit_kissez at 12:33 AM on Oct. 30, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• dont worry and dont compare your child to others because every child talks when they are ready. my 18month old only says a hand full of words and my dr says hes fine and right on track. by 18months they should say between 7 to 20words and you should only truly undersand about half of those. Dont worry he will talk when hes ready as long as hes babbling your good. just keep pointing at things and reading to him and asking him to say it back when your playing.
    Jaxsmommy09

Answer by Jaxsmommy09 at 12:42 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• When he wants his cup make him at least try to say cup a few times before you give it to him and just do that with everything. Good luck but dont worry i was 3 before I said a word lol
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 12:36 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• my son turned 2 in July and only speaks a few words. If you are very worried after consulting with his pedi., ask about having a hearing and speech test done although I believe it is still a bit early for that in your case. I have one scheduled for my son next month, although his pedi. was not too worried.
    In the mean time repetition helps, continue to say certain words over and over and over.........
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 12:38 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• also I have heard and read that boys speech often develops later than girls, especially if they are the only child in the household.
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 12:39 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• 1st kids talk kind a late . i started with the mmmm ma mmmmm ma or the b's bbbbbb ba ba ba ba ba and give a raspberry. keep it simple. num num num when eating, my pedi said to me that sometimes they dont have anything to say. sometimes im talking too much and not giving him a chance to talk. lol baby will come around.
    stepho345

Answer by stepho345 at 12:39 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• I know how you feel, my son is almost 20 months and he only says MAMA. I did went to see his doctor and he recommended me to call a program special for kids like him. We are in the process of getting him a teacher to come once a week to help him to talk, he will also get a speech therapist once a month. But they told me that it is very normal for boys to take longer to talk, so just do whatever makes you feel comfortable. If you want to wait until HE is ready, just give him time. Good luck!!!
    bratgirln1

Answer by bratgirln1 at 12:47 AM on Oct. 30, 2010