• In the Spotlight:

Should I be SCARED? Lyme Disease?

My son got bit by a tic a few days ago and tonight we discovered a bullseye rash where the tic was. I called the pediatrician immediately & they said to bring him in in the morning. I of course cant sleep - I read some stuff online that says antiobiotics will clear it right up and other stuff that says it can disable him? I dont know what to think - Im an intelligent college grad but I cant think straight while worried! Help please!!

RJ1126

Asked by RJ1126 at 10:46 PM on Oct. 30, 2008 in Health

• it's not as bad if it's treated early! the really bad stuff you read about is when lyme goes untreated for months or years.
    Anonymous

• If he is promptly treated with antibiotics he should be ok. Also try not to freak out yet. My dh broke out in that rash after a tick bite years ago. He didn't get lyme disease. Just a reaction to the bite itself.
    Anonymous

• Don't freak out just yet. Do make sure they do more than just one test, particularly if the first comes back negative. Lyme disease is actually a bit difficult to diagnose, and can often be missed the first time they test for it. Also, if they do perform more than one test, try to get them to do a different type...there are several tests, and none of them are 100% accurate, so if they do more than one they have a better chance and getting a correct diagnosis.

Lyme disease is relatively easy to treat when caught early, so try to relax and stay positive.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 2:01 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• I had Lyme Disease in college. Mine wasn't caught until I'd been feeling horrible for 3-4 months. I never had the bullseye rash, so I only found out because my doctor ran some blood tests to see why I was feeling so awful. I took antibiotics and felt like myself in no time. :) It'll be fine, especially since you caught it so very early.
    StarLee

Answer by StarLee at 8:49 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• My youngest had early stage Lyme at age 9. She had a positive Elisa test, bulleye rash, and swollen left knee. She received 30 days of doxycycline antibiotic. I was told that she was cured. At the age of 14, she has organic brain damage causing severe learning disabilities consistent with Lyme disease.

Early treatment gives the best opportunity for a cure for this bacterial infection.
    A test called a CD57 NK by Labcorps labs is an immune system test.

http://www.igenex.com is a great lab for a follow up western blot in 30 days.

You may call http://www.ilads.org to locate a lyme literate doctor (LLMD)in your area.

To everyone who has had a tick attachment PLEASE follow up with these two tests, at least one more time to make sure.

Do not be scared, be cautious and wise and seek an LLMD for advice.

http://astateofdenial.ning.com
    Pblu9207

Answer by Pblu9207 at 3:50 AM on Nov. 29, 2008

• I got Lyme disease when I was younger. I took the antibiotics they gave me and rubbed on some cream the doctor prescribed. I was fine for awhile and then all of a sudden I started having horrible hip and knee pain. It kills me to sit for more than 10 minutes in one place, it makes it feel like my hip is breaking. Lyme can cause nerve damage too but I haven't really noticed anything yet.
    bassyentihw

Answer by bassyentihw at 1:25 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• My 2 year old was diagnosed this summer. She was put on antibiotics and I was told she would be fine. It came back within 2 months and I, too, am terrified. I've read all kinds of things online. It should not have come back that soon which doesn't bode well for her. She is still complaining of joint pain half way through her second med treatment. I am going to look into a specialist because I don't want to leave things to chance. She's my child and I don't want to look back and say I should have done more! Good luck to you!
    ny_momof3

Answer by ny_momof3 at 4:12 PM on Oct. 23, 2009