IUD Pregnancy Question.

I've had the IUD for a little over two and a half years now, and have recently been expieriencing symptoms like bleeding (which hasn't happened since I got the IUD in), mild cramping, exhaustion (no increase in activity), and heartburn (The only time I've ever had heartburn is when I was pregnant, it stopped as soon as the babies were born). I was paranoid so I bought a pregnancy test, and it was negative. Would a pregnancy test show positive w/ an IUD or would I have to have the doctor do a blood test or something? Just curious, I want to make sure that if I am pregnant, that I can find out as soon as possible, for safety of the baby.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:46 AM on Oct. 30, 2010 in Pregnancy

• The pregnancy test should not be affected by the IUD, but if you feel that the home test wasn't accurate then you can call your doc and request a blood test. Or wait a week and do another home test.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 1:12 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• If you think you are pregnant and you have an IUD, do not wait! go get a blood test done ASAP.
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 2:25 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• An IUD will not affect hcg levels. Your doctor will determine a course of action if you are pregnant, as far as whether or not to remove the IUD. Sometimes it's safer if it is left in (as removal can cause a miscarriage). Good luck!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 3:51 AM on Oct. 30, 2010