What happened to helping yourself?

I am so sick of the BS. People wanting the government to help them. What is *insert politician here* going to do for the poor people. How are we going to get more money. Here is an idea. DO IT YOURSELF. Why in the hell would you think the government would, or should, fix your financial situation. There are millionaires made all the time from poor people. They have the drive and determined to succeed and not be "poor". They may be broke but they refuse to be poor. What is with the state of mind of some of you. I have been broke. Making $5.75 an hr. with dh not making much more. Pulling in 29K a yr with a child. NEVER did I have the mentality that the government should fix it. That I was being cheated. That anyone was at fault for my situation besides myself. I knew I was going to do something. It was never a question in my mind that I would turn it around. con't....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:48 PM on Oct. 30, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• I never got assistance. And 6 years later from that lovely 29K a yr, we made over 70K last year. No college educations. We have drive and refuse to be held down. Some people need to look at themselves to solve their problems. It's your responsibility.
    Anonymous

• Bravo !! That is PRECISELY what can be special about America !
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 10:51 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• "ask not what your country can do for you...but what you can do for your country."
    JFK is rolling around in that grave saying what the hell happened to his Democratic Party? They are now all asking " what is my country going to give me".
    akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 10:53 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• In the now infamous words of Tito the builder, who is of spanish decent I might add, said today, "Why do I want the government to throw me crumbs? Why would I want to live like that? Why would I want to grovel on the ground for the measly crumbs that they throw at us and let that keep me down? I want to work and make something of myself. " <---ok, actually this is paraphrasing, but he did say all of this. I applauded loudly, even tho I was the only one at home. GOOOOO Tito!!
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 10:55 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• America has a gazillion sorry men who live off the backs of women. I see them at my tax desk every year. They sit in their car waiting for their "woman" to bring them their big fat EIC check so they can go do what they do (buy alcohol, drugs, bail money, who knows?) but they are no good men. Why do women stay with men like that? And even go so far as to birth a child for that sorry jackass? <---sorry for the word. Cafemom says that word is ok. :)
    lifeasinoit

• Totally with you. I sincerely want to preserve the American enterprising mindset and identity. I have personally seen how socialism rots the individual mind and destroys countries. Americans are very distinctive in their snap wisdom, and they should be thankful to have the freedom to question to the detail that harbors this type of wisdom.

~ A first generation born American
    BlueSaphire

Answer by BlueSaphire at 10:55 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• Exactly what I was thinking, don't sit around and complain about those who get help....worry about your situation and how you can fix it....Good post
    Angelis_mom

Answer by Angelis_mom at 11:02 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• I call it "welfare mentality". Not that all people on welfare are like that, but why do it for yourself when you can have someone else pay your way? Like the people who rush to the ER every time their kid sneezes or runs a 100 deg fever. Make a dr appt!! "Welfare mentality" disgusts me. I've been on welfare. I'm not judging. We all know some people are just that way.
    Anonymous

• I mean, the government is NOT going to help! Have they ever? No. This election is no different. If you wait for the government to ride in on a white horse to save the day, you will die of old age still waiting. Forget the government. Worry about yourself and do what it takes to change your family tree. Don't let your kids have the mentality that you should depend on anyone else. Just like social security. That is not a part of my retirement plan. I have 401K's and roth IRA. SS may as well not exist to me. If it is there when I retire, great. But I am not counting on it, or expecting it. I just don't have that mentality.
    Anonymous

• do you hear yourself? honestly, this is just beyond insane.
    i am not looking for a handout but i could use some help.
    my husband and i had to go bankrupt because of the crippling cost of a surgery that i had to have, one that my insurance wouldn't cover.
    there are americans struggling with issues exactly like these and it is not their fault.
    Anonymous