Would you give your son HGH?

My family on my moms side is very petite. I'm 5'0. My mom has 10 brothers and sisters none of which are taller than 5'3, including my uncles. My 9 and a half yr old son is 46 inches tall and 45 lbs. He is in 4th grade and cried himself to sleep the other night because he gets picked on for being the smallest kid (including the girls ) in the whole 4th grade. Even 2nd graders say things to him. I talked to him, I know how it feels. I was picked on too but I can imagine its harder for a boy. Yesterday my mom told me my uncle is giving my 14 yr old cousin growth hormone injections. He is under 5 ft, but that is our genetics! They wanted to give them to me as a child and my mom refused. Even though my son is hurting I just couldn't do that for no medical reason. And it only adds an inch maybe 2 of height. Would you consider growth hormone for your child because they are genetically small? Would you let them decide?

MissAlisabeth

Asked by MissAlisabeth at 1:17 AM on Oct. 30, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• I would not. I learned about growth hormones in college courses and found it to do more harm than good. Horton Hears A Who has a great message- a person is a person no matter how small. He's perfect the way he is. I know it's hard and upsetting to see your child hurt, but things will be ok. Hormones can pose many health risks.
    Sharell8710

Answer by Sharell8710 at 1:22 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• i agree with you , if it's not medically necessary then i wouldn't do it. definitely not for an inch or two

pinkrayn

Answer by pinkrayn at 1:24 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• No I would not! 1 or 2 inches~someone wasted their time on that injection. They make boots and high heels with more inches that that.
    Sheila755

Answer by Sheila755 at 1:52 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• My thoughts exactly! I guess you could get lucky and grow a little taller but the research I found online gave an average of an inch and a half to two inches. Plus they are ungodly expensive. Thousands of dollars. I would love to be able to make my son taller so he wouldn't have to deal with the teasing. He is also a very sensitive boy. But there just isn't a fix for that. We have to find a way to deal with the teasing itself. His predicted adult height is only around 5'3 to 5'5 so he will be dealing with this probably the whole time he's in school. Which makes me sad. Kids can be so mean to those that are the slightest bit different.
    MissAlisabeth

Comment by MissAlisabeth (original poster) at 2:13 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• no
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 7:00 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• does he play sports? I remember having a few little guys at school, and they were the best soccer players! Put him in a sport and let him find his way! Nobody made fun of these guys because they were great at what they did, and always won games for the school. I know its stupid, but maybe that will help his confidence, and impress all the shallow kids at school.
    LuvMyMedic3ID

Answer by LuvMyMedic3ID at 7:22 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Nope. I knew a guy in high school that was like 4 years older than me yet shorter than me and I was/am 5'1''. He was perfectly happy like that. My sons may be small but I don't care. It is life. I am not going to give them hormones just because they are short.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 9:14 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• I agree that you should encourage him to try a sport or two...finding something he is awesome at will help his self esteem and as a short person myself I know that in time he will learn to laugh at himself and then people will stop picking on him. Just remind him that being tall doesnt make a better person. As for the hormones, personally I think it's wrong. We aren't supposed to be all the same and we shouldn't mess with our bodies for vain reasons.
    AprylnAtticus

Answer by AprylnAtticus at 1:04 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Absolutely not! The potential side effects are much worse than being a little short. My son actually does have short stature & is growth-delayed by a couple of years. After much discussion with his endocrinologist, we opted to just let him continue to grow at his own pace. At 15 he's only 5'4", but because testing found him to be growth-delayed rather than HGH deficient, he is expected to continue growing well into his late teens and may reach an adult height of 5'6", possibly 5'7". If we had opted for the HRT, he could get as tall as 5'9", but we didn't feel the medical risks were worth it for a couple of extra inches.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 1:13 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• How is it possible for anyone to even get HGH? I would NEVER give my kids anything on my own.That is crazy. ANd practicing medicine without a license. Wow....nuts.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 5:20 PM on Oct. 30, 2010