ugh and uber

a question about those two words. my friend uses the word uber all the time yet gets irate when i use the word UGH, now i got fed up with being yelled at about that, so to prove something, i looked up in the Webster's dictionary the two words and almost to my surprise the word uber is NOT in the dictionary but here is the shocker... UGH was in the dictionary LMAO . so my question is, to the ones who use the word uber... what does the word actually mean and why isn't it in the dictionary if it is an actual word?

pinkrayn

Asked by pinkrayn at 1:44 AM on Oct. 30, 2010 in Entertainment

• lol uber... like siuper. or alot.

"that guy is uber cute!"
    lol
    2boysmommy.js

Answer by 2boysmommy.js at 1:53 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• i think it means very
    meagan678

Answer by meagan678 at 1:55 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• but why isn't it in the dictionary .... it's irritating i wanna find it dang it LOL
    pinkrayn

Comment by pinkrayn (original poster) at 2:01 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• "uber" is supposed to mean very or a lot.

FYI......alot is not a word either, it's 2 ( a lot )!!!!
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 2:44 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Where did uber even come from? I have a friend that uses it all the time and I just don't get it. Her favorite line is "I'm uber pissed."
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 8:58 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• It's a German word meaning above or the superlative one of it's class or kind. I found it on-line in the Urban dictionary, which has slang. It's probably not in your dictionary because it may have been printed before the usage started.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 9:19 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• A couple of more interesting things about it's origin:During his rise to power, Adolf Hitler bastardized Nietzsche's term, using it in his descriptions of an Aryan master race. One of the first popular modern uses of the word as a synonym in English for super was a Saturday Night Live TV sketch in 1979. The sketch, What if?, pondered the notion of what if the comic book hero Superman had landed in Nazi Germany when he first came from Krypton. Rather than being called Superman, he took the name of Überman
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 9:24 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• continued:
    Another more current usage of the word is by Fox News commentator Glenn Beck, who uses the word "Überleft" to describe the far left wing of the Democratic Party in the United States. In the kids television show Animalia, Alex uses the word "uberly" a lot for emphasis.

The term was also used in an episode of Friends (season 1, episode 5, "The One with the East German Laundry Detergent"), when Ross tries to impress Rachel by showing her that he uses a German laundry detergent called "Überweiss".
    SweetLuci