Growing up, did your family talk about birth?

Roadfamily6now

Asked by Roadfamily6now at 1:59 AM on Oct. 30, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Yes, a little.

My mother had a post twilight-era labor with me, just dreadful!
    I grew up with books like Immaculate Deception on the shelves where I could see pics of amazing homebirthing. It suggested we consider questioning what isn't normal & natural before jumping right in~ this was similar to how I was raised: to consider the World from my own perspective.

With that history, I knew I wanted a great & safe, CONSCIOUS birth experience.
    And I got it!
    ;-D
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:06 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Not unless it was a "horror" story. There was never any positive association with birth in my family, until me. I'm the only person in my family who wanted a home birth (didn't get it because assisted home births are illegal here in VA and she was not planned), knew that midwives were still around, etc. I'm the only person who went drug free, I'm the only person who thinks that birth is a natural thing and that you don't HAVE to have drugs to make it through, etc. I intend to change all of that with my daughter (and any other children we may have) and raise her to know the facts and all options involving birth long before she gets pregnant for the first time.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 2:11 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• no
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 2:28 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• I grew up on a farm where birthing of animals was a normal occurance. so we relly didn't talk about it but the understanding was there
    TZimm

Answer by TZimm at 2:58 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• nope my family and I didn't go into things like that
    portlandia

Answer by portlandia at 3:56 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Not until I was older to understand what giving birth was.
    ladyambition

Answer by ladyambition at 6:25 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• no
    kileighsmommie

Answer by kileighsmommie at 7:59 AM on Oct. 30, 2010