Is this a common thing?

What things do you do as a parent to encourage your tween daughters friendships? My 12 yo dd has friends, but not 'close' friends like I see her other friends having. I keep inviting, parties, but it's just not reciprocated. Is this common?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:13 AM on Oct. 30, 2010 in General Parenting

• I think it depends on where you live. I come from the Midwest and everyone was very social, and had people over, and had parties, etc. Now I live out West. We do invites, and get no RSVPs, then 20 people show up for the party, but then they hardly have any parties. It's just different everywhere. You are doing the right things. Maybe your daughter should join some sports, then everyone shows up, and she can try to make closer friends with those kids.
    tucson.mary

Answer by tucson.mary at 6:07 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• people are all different. We live in an area where we just cant seem to relate with the locals and have become very isolated as a result. Where we used to live we integrated much better. So yeah, its the location, where and how you were raised vs where you are now and how those people were brought up and the culture surrounding each area.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 6:44 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• I agree w/ the other moms about joining some kind of sports team or club. There's nothing like a little teamwork to form some good friendships. Not having a bff, but lots of just friends is okay. It could be a little self preservation on your dau's part. Girls at that age can be little stinkers, and most cant be trusted w/ major secrets. I'm betting she'll do just fine. :)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:44 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Is your DD more mature or less mature than her friends? At her age, I had many casual friends, but only one or two good friends. I couldn't relate to most of them, and didn't want to. When I was older, I made lots of good friends b/c they were all at least 5 years older than me.
    Gandeluv

Answer by Gandeluv at 9:16 AM on Oct. 30, 2010