How much should a Kindergartner be doing for themselves?

Should they be able to button their own pants? Should they never write their name sloppy? Should they not use a sippy cup? Should they not sit at a kids table to eat? Should they not be babied anymore?

tucson.mary

Asked by tucson.mary at 5:33 AM on Oct. 30, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• i have 1, and she can button her pants and write her name pretty well. She has used a regular cup since before she was 4. I dont know what you mean about a kids table. Are you talking about for Thanksgiving? Mine sits wherever she wants to eat, usually the big table, unless there are alot of her friends over. She def does not need to be babied. I havent had to baby her for along time. Kids like to take care of themselves and be independent
    LuvMyMedic3ID

Answer by LuvMyMedic3ID at 7:13 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• All kids are different. You can not expect your kid to be just like someone else's. But the other stuff you mentioned sippy cup and kids tables. That is something a parent lets their kid do.

Answer by louise2 at 7:21 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• At 5 some kids can button their own pants and some can't. My 5 year old son can snap his, my 7 year old daughter cannot snap hers.

They definitely write their names sloppy.

By 5 they should be capable of drinking from a regular cup. What you use at home is your business though, as long as they are capable of drinking from a cup elsewhere.

I'm not sure what you mean about the kids table.....they are still kids, so they can sit at a kids table to eat

There are times when they can still be babied. That's up to you and the child. My kids were quite independent at 5, but they still like their mommy time. But there are also times when you need to encourage them to do things for themselves.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 8:56 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Snaps, well depends on some of the snaps! I've come across some that were very hard to snap, or more like button, but snaps and zippers are easy for ds, most buttons.
    He stopped using sippy cups before age 2, so, theres no way I'd think at 5 anyone should be using one
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 12:48 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• My K age child has not used a sippy in 2+ years, she can completely dress herself except for the occasional pants button or snap, she wipes her own butt after she poops, she can make herself a pbj sandwich and get herself a glass of water, help herself to fresh fruit (wash and eat), she can't tie shoes but we haven't even tried yet, she can write her name but it's not perfect, I do kind of baby her just a little bit on occasion because she is my baby girl, but she knows she's a big girl and acts like one.
    Anonymous

• Should def. be able to use a regular cup, its okay to write sloppy, pretty much dress self although may need some help from time to time -- buttoning etc. depend on the child AND the pants (some are just difficult - even for adults LOL). In general they eat at the same table I do except maybe some special occasions like a big family event etc.. And "babing" from time to time is okay, just not all the time, KWIM.
    My kindergartners are pretty indep but EVERYONE needs a little cuddling from time to time.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 9:25 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• I realy think it all depends on the child. I have two and they are both so very different from one another.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 12:00 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• I'm with the others that think it's child dependent.
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 2:11 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• It depends on the child. I don't think there are any hard and fast rules on this.
    cleanaturalady

Answer by cleanaturalady at 3:52 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• in K3 they need to be able to dress and undress themselves with minimal help... they need to drink from normal cups... honestly by the end of K4 the kids will be able to write their names and they will be readable... while not perfect...
    asil

Answer by asil at 10:27 PM on Oct. 31, 2010