What can be done for excruciating carpal tunnel pain?

I have it so bad it feels like my wrists are broken and it puts me into tears trying to do anything with my hands. I can't carry or lift anything without wincing in agony. Pain meds and splints do not work and the splints actually make them hurt worse. I have 9.5 weeks left until my delivery.

babykangaroo88

Asked by babykangaroo88 at 6:46 AM on Oct. 30, 2010 in Pregnancy

• stop using the computer 1st of all, then get a brace for your wrist and rest it for a few days. Maybe see a medical professional to make sure.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 6:50 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• I'm sorry to you first I also have carpal tunnel in my wrist. I did read being pregnant makes its worse. due to all the swelling that happens to us anyways. You are already doing everything that i do for mine. The only thing left i can think of is 10 minutes ice 10 minutes heat. then elevate the hand for awhile, I hope you feel better. I know its awful
    kileighsmommie

Answer by kileighsmommie at 7:42 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• When I was pregnant, I had carpal tunnel in both wrists...I couldnt even hold my newborn to nurse him...I advize to wear your splints (they may hurt/make it worse because they are too tight or too lose), use heat ( I found ice make the pain worse) , advil/aleve/motrin (If it is OK with you OB), and talk to a surgeon NOW to schedule surgery for right after you deliver, therwise you wont be able to function with your newborn. Good luck!
    STEVESBELLA4EVR

Answer by STEVESBELLA4EVR at 7:47 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• I got this when I was pregnant with my daughter and I agree that the splints hurt worse. The thing that worked best for me was pregnancy massage. Yes it's full body but if you tell them you have carpal tunnel they will do a lot of focusing on that and it was amazing how much it helped! it made then pain managable for me. I also found that soaking in a warm tub and submerging my wrists for awhile soothed a bit! and just take tylenol...not advil.
    randibosin

Answer by randibosin at 9:38 AM on Oct. 30, 2010