how do you save money on grocery shopping?

stargazer74

Asked by stargazer74 at 7:41 AM on Oct. 30, 2010 in Money & Work

• I plan out what I will be making for dinner for the month approx. & go to the store once a month & get everything I need to make those meals plus a few extras just in case. I then only go once a week for milk. We have a family of 4 & I can keep groceries under $200 a mth. We don't do soda or candy ect... Each sunday I make a large dinner like roasting a chicken or beef ect.. and for that week we use the meat for additional meals such as soups, casseroles ect.. We also use the meat for lunch sandwiches which saves money (no lunchmeat bought) and it is healthier (less sodium). Exp: This past sunday we had chicken, peas, mashed potatoes, gravy, home made bread. Monday we had a casserole with chix, left over peas, noodles and opened a can of cream of mushroom soup. Tuesday used the gravy leftover & had hot chix sand w/gravy & homemade FF (from real potatoes) less $ & healthier. It works for us hope this helps.
    emsmommy225

Answer by emsmommy225 at 7:55 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Stick to my list, look for the sales, and never shop when hungry!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:48 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• yep, sales & coupons. buying in bulk can save you money in the longrun as well. also if you buy some items storebrand, i know most of us have certain things that we are sticklers about and must have brand name (kraft mayo for me for example), but i always buy storebrand papertowels & napkins, storebrand milk tastes the same as t.g. lee imo. just little things like that.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 7:50 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Hit the sales & use coupons
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:45 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• We coordinate sales with coupons.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:47 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• just check out different stores. For example wal mart sells pepsi for $1 while Target does for $1.25, and Coca Cola even 1.59. So looking around does help. Then of course coupons or sales.
    LittleBirdFly

Answer by LittleBirdFly at 7:57 AM on Oct. 30, 2010