IS THIS RIGHT OR WRONG?

We just bought a house. They told us that taxes on it were 550.00 a year...a year. Not bad, but they remodeled the house & never had it checked or appraised to whoever does the taxes.
So when they wrote our loan, that was the tax amount & what was going into escrow. So then I get this bill for taxes due then end of Nov. of 550.00. And then it says 2nd half due in May 09, of 550.00.
In order for someone to sell a house, shouldnt correct information be submitted before selling? (this is only a month time) First monthly house payment, set in our budget and now already going on the rise because somewhere down the line, someone never did the work. OR is it my fault somehow........Any in sight to this for me?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:08 PM on Oct. 30, 2008 in Home & Garden

• When they tell you the taxes at sale it's general based on the previous years. Also if you bought from an elderly person, they may have actually told you the truth. It's not uncommon for the elderly to have reduce taxes.....
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 11:11 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• considering the tax amount you pay can change at any time with the tax laws, they can't exactly give you the correct amount.

the previous homeowners should have paid their share of the 2008 taxes though. When I bought my house, the previous owners paid their share of the year, it was all done with the real estate paperwork. although...that might not be law that they have to... but you shouldn't be paying taxes on what was their property for part of the year.
    Anonymous

• They weren't elderly. He is in the construction business, who built the home. And here they have to report any remodeling, because that effects the property value. So help me make sense of this of where the error is.

And if they are reliable for the year that they owned then will i get a refund or them? Or who to call to find out?
    racingmomma

Answer by racingmomma at 11:16 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• They are only reliable for the time they lived there, at least that is how it is here, and I assume most places are the same.

For example we bought our house in July of 2003. So the previous owner paid the taxes for Jan 2003-June 2003 and we had to pay taxes for July 2003-Dec 2003. Those taxes were paid the day we closed on the house. They were apart of our closing fee.

So when we got our first bill in 2004 we had to pay for ALL of it, because we already got the credit for it from the seller the day we closed on the house...... Also, as the previous poster said they can only estimate what the taxes are based on previous years....it's can never be an exact thing.... and your right the remodeling does effect the taxes.....
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 11:22 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• Okay, they haven't paid for any 2008 taxes as our bill came for the year of 2008. We just signed Sept 2008. So they owe taxes on it for this year, is what you are telling me?
    And they never reported there remodel, so they lied upon sale?
    racingmomma

Answer by racingmomma at 11:25 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• I don't know if they didn't report the remodel or not......

Do you still have the paper work from the sale? There should be a line somewhere on there re: taxes. They may have already paid the taxes for 2008 on the day you closed, you'll have to look on the paper work..... I know our seller paid the taxes already the day we closed, because that tax money was credited to us the day we closed..... so when the bill came in 2004 for 2003 we had to pay all of it....

I would just take all of your paper work from the sale and the tax paper work and talk to either a Realtor, a finance person, or a lawyer.... without knowing exactly what happen the day you closed and what the paper works said I can't say.... I just know how things worked for us the day we closed on our house.
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 11:32 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• Thanks all for your help.........Hopefully, I can see a light at the end of this, because I am no where able to come up with 550. by 11.30.08.
    racingmomma

Answer by racingmomma at 11:46 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• Be sure to talk to your lender. Since you have an escrow account, the lender MAY be willing to front the money, adding a small extra amount to your escrow payment until it is repaid. It can't hurt to ask and the lender will need to know if the taxes can't be paid - especially since they write the check out of the escrow account.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 1:01 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• If you have an escrow account, it may be already factored in. Call your lender as pp said. I get "bills" for taxes, but it is paid by my escrow. The bills are sent only for my knowledge and to file taxes with. The city/county doesn't know who is going to pay the bill, so they send it to the property owner of course.
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 4:35 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• Since taxes are paid in arrears, you should only be responsible for the taxes while you own the house. Check your closing papers; the taxes are usually addressed at that point (the seller would have been responsible for a prorated portion (through the date they own/owned the house) of the taxes and then you would be responsible from that point forward.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:15 AM on Oct. 31, 2008