Quick please! Need tips for relieving DD's dry cough!

My DD has been up the ENTIRE night with a dry cough. She can't go 30 seconds without coughing. Does anyone know of anything that will help. I tried the lemon and honey mixture; it didn't help. There's no mucus, just a dry cough that won't give her a moments rest! She's 3 BTW. Help please! Thanks in advance!

Gandeluv

Asked by Gandeluv at 8:47 AM on Oct. 30, 2010 in Kids' Health

• My doc says to either put her in the bath room with the shower running as hot as possible to create steam or take her outside in the cold night air. Of course the cold night air would only work if you are in a cold state. ;) Good luck, I hope she is feeling better soon.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 6:53 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Humidifier, vick's on chest, back and feet then socks, stand in the bathroom with the steam of the hot shower filling the room. Hope she feels better soon.
    kksmomma1019

Answer by kksmomma1019 at 8:51 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• If you don't have a humidifer, but a pot of water on the stove and let it boil to put humidity in the air. Have your daughter hang out in the kitchen.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:03 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• I was sick for 3 weeks straight recently, and I had a constant dry cough. It felt like spasms and it was so annoying! I tried the vicks on the feet trick (rub vicks on the bottom of the feet and cover with socks before bed) and it really helped. Also running a cool mist humidifier and maybe trying those plug ins with the vapor strips on them.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:47 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Giving you a bump. My son is also in a similar situation. I've got the Vick's on his back, chest, and feet tonight - as well as the humidifier going on in his room. Crossing fingers that he's able to get some rest, as well as your daughter!
    phoofy

Answer by phoofy at 1:19 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• Try making a croup tent. If you google "croup tent" you'll find lots of different ways to do it.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 1:55 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• I agree with PhilsBabyMama....a croup tent would probably do her wonders.
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 3:11 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• Yep. The cough tent idea is a good one.
    cleanaturalady

Answer by cleanaturalady at 3:34 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• Honey, and humidity!
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 6:44 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• Thank-you everyone! It is much better today. I used a humidifier last night and she didn't cough once! As a side note, a friend told me today that caffeine is supposed to work. I'd try that in the day if it got that bad again. Thanks again ladies!
    Gandeluv

Comment by Gandeluv (original poster) at 8:57 PM on Oct. 31, 2010