Daycare moms: How do you keep your LO and yourself from always getting sick?

It seems like my DS has had a continous cold since he started daycare and I feel my second one coming on. I'm really getting irritated.

Shanna84

Asked by Shanna84 at 9:16 AM on Oct. 30, 2010 in Kids' Health

• The longer that a child is in a social setting like school or daycare, the stronger their immune systems become. The first year or so is going to be the worst. You can help them to strengthen their immune systems by having them eat a healthy diet full of fruits and veggies, exercise regularly, and teach proper handwashing techniques (have them soap and wash their hands while singing the happy birthday song twice, that is the easiest way for a child to make sure they are washign their hands long enough). teach them to cough into their elbow (not their hands because then the hands go on everything else) and that will help prevent the spread of germs too. Good luck :)
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 4:59 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• I am an elementary school teacher so the first year I taught I missed a lot of work due to catching everything the kids had...I now rarely get sick. Both of my boys went through the same thing their first year in daycare. It will be a long tough winter, but next year will be a little better!
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 9:38 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Also, you can give him vitamin C...they make it in a powder form for kids that you can sprinkle on his fruit and he won't even notice...they also make chewable probiotics for kids that will help out during this season!
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 9:39 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• I think after awhile of being around the same kids, they build up immunities. My daughter goes to the sitter all day and my son goes to both the sitter and preschool, they are very rarely sick.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 1:06 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• If they're around other kids a lot, it's probably going to happen until they build up some natural immunities. I have been working on teaching him to wash his hands well, and we keep some wet ones in the car to help reduce the number of times he catches something. I use them after he plays with other kids in public places, but he's home with me so he gets sick less often than some kids. I think it helps some, but we still catch a few colds here and there just from places like story time, the park, or kids' museums. A healthy diet and plenty of vitamins (we use Poly Vi Sol) help boost immune systems too.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 1:11 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• We focus on wellness Alcohol, meat, dairy, highly processed foods like white sugar and white flour all weaken the immune system. Foods that build up the immune system include: fruits, vegetables, whole grains and legumes. Adequate sleep; lots of water, and Echinacea (no more than three weeks on and one week off) will all help build the immune system.
    I had been resisting supplementing with probiotics until I read this:
    With all the hype about the upcoming flu epidemic, and the pros and cons of vaccination, how can we protect our children and ourselves?
    According to the results of a double-blind, placebo-controlled study reported in the August 2009 issue of PEDIATRICS, probiotics may be useful to prevent cold and influenza-like symptoms in children.
    Read the rest of the article here: http://cme.medscape.com/viewarticle/707328

Answer by rkoloms at 5:10 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• When it comes to the germs "shared" at a daycare, the most you can do is wash your hands, eat healthy and deal with it...

So many different strains of everything are going to get passed around. The first year at daycare, my kids were ALWAYS sick (and, so was I)...this year, we're rarely sick. The immune system will build itself up *nod*
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 6:17 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• My daughter takes vitamins and herbs from Nature's Sunshine and she does not get sick too often (knock on wood). Plus she gets a flu shot. Although, this year the flu shot did make her sick for about two weeks!
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 6:45 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Flu shots, vitamins and lots of sleep!
    Brenna

Answer by Brenna at 6:46 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• I'm a Day Care teacher and everything you are reading here is so true....~smile~ It's a pain at first but does get better, hang in there. ~smile~
    Suzie2mom

Answer by Suzie2mom at 12:56 PM on Oct. 31, 2010