Am I a bad mom??

Ok, well I know that I am not a "bad" mom but I feel horrible. 2 days ago my husband was bathing my daughter and she whacked her head on the side of the tub when she bent down. She gave herself a nice goose egg and then it left one heck of a bruise. I know it was an accident. Then last night we are walking to the hotel we are staying at and she fell and literally face first. My big pregnant but quickly swept her up only to see that she got "road rash" on the other side of her head and a little scratch under her nose. I also know that was an accident but I feel horrible like I should have just carried her or she should have had tennies on not boots.

I know that what my husband says is true. She's 17 months and is going to get bumps and bruises but I guess I just wasn't prepared. Or maybe I am just to prego so I'm feeling more sensative about it then I should

Is this a strange feeling??

randibosin

Asked by randibosin at 9:26 AM on Oct. 30, 2010 in General Parenting

• It's a normal feeling, but you've done nothing wrong. Accidents happen. I think you're afraid other people seeing these bumps may think you're not watching your child carefully. We laugh now about the time my sister was carefully questioned in the emergency room because she had been in so many times with my three nephews, with various cuts, bumps and bruises, falling out of trees, down a stairway, swinging from a closeline, etc. While the two doctors were questioning her, my nephew climbed off the examining table, up on a counter and upside down into a waste basket and split his lip. That was the end of the investigation!
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 1:18 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• It's normal... Accidents happened!.. And little ones at that age, tend to fall often! Don't feel bad...
    By showing your worries I can tell that you are a caring mom!! :)
    Monica655

Answer by Monica655 at 9:32 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• No, I think we all blame ourselves when our kids get hurt. It sucks. And yes, you probably have preggo hormones making everything more emotional. Last night my 8mo ds pinched his finger in the vcr. Why didn't I think of baby proofing it? How come I couldn't get to him fast enough? Thank god it wasn't plugged in! I felt like crap. It will happen more though.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 9:32 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Yeah, I think we all feel this way at one point or another. At my old house I had solid concrete steps and my son went rolling down them, face first. He had a pretty scratched up cheek and a badly beat up knee. I cried and blamed it on myself for a while. He's a boy though, he's going to get beat up due to accidents. He's got so many bumps and bruises and scars already because he acts like such a boy. The other day we were at the hospital and he got his fingers smashed in the elivator door as it was sliding open. I guess he thought his had would slide along it as it was opening (he's 3) and his hand got sucked in with the door. I was a wreck, hubby grabbed him and pulled his hand out. Our 3 year old was screaming, but once he got the candy to keep his mind off of it, he was fine. I still blame myself for letting him touch the door.
    AtHomeMommy-3

Answer by AtHomeMommy-3 at 9:38 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• yeah things happen hun don't worry about it :) i have two DK and they are always falling bumping and hitting :)
    2_kiddos

Answer by 2_kiddos at 9:38 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Awwwww! It's normal that you feel bad, but really you shouldn't beat yourself up, accidents happen.

When my son was two and I was 7 months pregnant, he decided to run away from me as we came out of the grocery store. He was running straight at the street. I had to drop everything, all the groceries and my purse, onto the sidewalk and haul fat preggo ass to catch him by the overall straps right before he got himself crushed by an oncoming car. I felt SO HORRIBLE, what if I hadn't been able to catch him?
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 9:39 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• This is just the beginnings of bumps and bruises. My crazy little 4 yr old dd ALWAYS has bruises up and down her little legs. When they are young, like your dd they are still unsteady on their feet and falls will happen. When she is older she will be crazy and wild and falls will happen more than you like or even know. Kiddos are resilient and bumps and bruises are just a part of childhood.

shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 9:40 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• No way are you a bad mom, your little on will have accidents, it happens to us all.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:41 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• your not a bad mum my nearly 3 year old hsa been fallling over since he could walk which was about 18months and hasnt stoped now my daughter age 16 months has been falling over since she started walking at 14 months its just them learning hope this helps
    mumof3_2010

Answer by mumof3_2010 at 9:53 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Its normal hon. On both counts. She's going to have accidents and your emotions are gonna be a rollercoaster for awhile. My oldest, bless his heart, had what seemed to be a perpetual bruise on his forehead at that age. It wasn't there all the time of course, but he had his moments no matter how quick I or anyone else was.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 9:54 AM on Oct. 30, 2010