Ok. I'm new to this. I'm heavy with PPD. I would like to read stories and hear comments relating to PPD.

My story is 3 to 5 mos after pregnancy my view on things changes. I'm 32 and my 3rd child is 5mos. My oldest is 12yrs. Things I enjoy eg. shopping and visiting with friends, i have to go about in a robot way as I just don't enjoy it like I did while pregnant. I have to be chemically helped in order to not completely loose it. I have fears of rejection and abandonment so i don't get close to people. I have bouts of scary anger and frustration and don't know how to handle it especially where my kids are concerned. With my 1st child this all went unnoticed and so untreated. My 2nd child I got on medication then quit cold turkey while pregnant with the 3rd. I had withdraw symptoms that kicked me so I want to do what I can to avoid taking meds again. I don't have means of emotional support. My husband says it's all my wrong thinking and i should quit wallowing. In much pain. Don't want to become an addict. help.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:42 AM on Oct. 30, 2010 in Health

• Oh hun! I feel for you! I have 3 kids as well, and much like you the beginning symptoms went unnoticed/untreated with my 1st. I knew I was depressed, but I feared if I let on too much, my baby might be taken from me. She was and still is my WORLD! When I had my 2nd, it was VERY important to me that I nurse her as long as I could. 5 weeks after I had her, I had to have an emergency gal bladder surgery. They used the wrong anesthetic on me and I was no longer able to nurse her. I felt like a complete failure as a mother. When I came home and after I recovered, my DH who was sweet and completely took over caring for the baby had her on a schedule and I then felt like the baby no longer needed me at all. This sent me over the edge! Then, when (with his help) I tried to get counseling but because I HAD insurance I couldn't. I did eventually get help and began taking Zoloft. I have been on it ever since. I am on a lot of other meds
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 10:11 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• as well, and don't like it but sometimes, we have to be. As for an anti-depressant, do not consider it an addiction. It is needed because of an imbalance of chemicals in your body. It's not something that isn't the same in many many many women who've had babies. Sometimes, we can go off them later down the road, sometimes we can't. I would strongly advise NOT ever ever stopping any medication cold turkey without talking to a Dr. first. With Zoloft in particular, if you stop it cold turkey - (I have done this) you will end up with vertigo - which royally sucks. I have now been on Zoloft for 10 yrs. It's helping so I keep taking it. I would love to not need it, but I do. I am also in therapy which is also a vital piece in working through depression.
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 10:13 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Please talk to your Dr. about your medication, seek some type of counseling, and don't feel down about needing help. We all, at one time or another need help. PM me if you ever want to and I would gladly love to be your friend! Take care.....
    Babylove76