questions about breastfeeding

my dd is 1o days old and has been bf'ing great and gaining weight. but i has a few questions

1. at this age how much did ur baby stay awake during the day?
2. how long did they nurse each session?
3. it seems alot of times when i nurse she goes to sleep within 5-10 mins even when i try to get her to eat more she wont,is that normal?
4. how often did they wake during the night?

5. how long did they feed during the nighttime sections?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:34 PM on Oct. 30, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• she's still a newborn... having her on a schedule isn't necessary so don't worry!

!. only for maybe an hour at a time
    2. 10-15 minutes.. then he would fall asleep, and i only feed on one breast each feeding
    3.sometimes baby's are just thirsty.. she doesn't have to eat a whole lot each feeding, she'll eat until she is satisfied.. even though it's frustrating!
    4. every 2-3 hours until he was about 3 weeks old
    5.a little longer than in the day.. but we co-sleep so i i would just roll over and give him a boob :)
    VictinaG

Answer by VictinaG at 11:38 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• basically what she said.
    Natsnumberthree

Answer by Natsnumberthree at 11:41 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• yea. once my milk came in i was nursing ever 2 hours sometimes even less than that.
    CelestialPeace

Answer by CelestialPeace at 12:17 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• 1. At 10 days? The longest stretch was maybe an hour or two.
    2. 5 minutes on each breast, I had overactive letdown, which meant the milk came out faster than is typical. Faster flow = shorter nursings.
    3. At 10 days old she wont have a set pattern, some feedings she'll be more hungry for, some less. Don't try to force her to nurse ... it's practically impossible. Just go with the flow and don't fight it.
    4. Each one of mine had different sleep habits, but at 10 days, I they were waking every one or two hours a night.
    5. I don't know because I nursed in my sleep and didn't time them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:28 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• 1. Not much. She was a sleeper! But she was usually awake 20 minutes betwen each feeding during the day then out for the night. I had to wake her to feed and she wouldn't want to wake up.
    2. It took me a while to feed at that age, but I was having problems. Doc had me do 10 minutes on each side then supplimental formula (about 1-2 oz).
    3. Just depends on the kid. LIke I said, mine liked to sleep!
    4. At first, she'd sleep 6 hours but doc put a stop to that. She wasn't allowed to sleep more than 4 hours. But again, she wasn't gaining weight. If yours is doign well, don't worry about it.
    5. Same as day time. Once she was off the supplimental, (at about 4 weeks old) she'd take the boob in about 30 - 40 minutes. Bottles went much faster 10-15 minutes. I wasn't producing right so I was doing 15 - 20 on each side and she still wasn't gaining quite right. So I ended up weening not long after.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:46 AM on Oct. 31, 2008