Well, well how about that?

Most of ya'll said the majority of military personnel would have an issue with homosexuals serving openly for whatever reason.

http://www.armytimes.com/news/2010/10/ap-military-survey-says-majority-back-ending-gay-ban-102810/

BlueCollarMama

Asked by BlueCollarMama at 10:09 AM on Oct. 30, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• BlueCollarMama

Comment by BlueCollarMama (original poster) at 10:09 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Really can't speak for 12 million people
    plus there's different variables. NCOs and Officers and married people tend to have their own quarters/housing. As such gay people wouldn't effect them since they don't really have to deal with them.

Unmarried enlisted have to live in barracks, although some do arrange to live off-post with an SO. Those in barracks would be the most effected and every person's viewpoint on it would differ.

As long as the person wasn't pushing themselves on people or being sexually harrassing, could remain professional and get the job done, I'd have no issue.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 10:16 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• There is a lot to be said about "No ask, No tell", because there's no issue if no one knows about it to worry about it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:18 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Did not read the article, but... Why would we expect that military members could not "handle" working with known gay and lesbian co-workers? The rest of civilized Americans, over many industries, manage to get beyond those labels and get jobs done too. I hope those who are trusted to protect our country are as capable and possess the needed coping skills to do the same as the rest of us-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 10:27 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• The Navy has lot of Lesbians and they have no problems and they are on ships for months.

It should not even be talked about, if they want to serve their country the should allowed to join!!
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 10:43 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• SisterAct you won't find any argument from me or the vat majority of the military but there have been those here on Cafemom that seem to think it would be impossible for the military to accept homosexuals. SOme have even gone to the point of saying service members are too immature and stupid to understand it.
    BlueCollarMama

Comment by BlueCollarMama (original poster) at 11:07 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• I don't think military people have a problem with gay people. I don't think a lot of them would have an issue with serving beside an openly gay one. IMO, and this comes from what I seeing and hearing from my dh (he is actively involved in this process and has been to a dozen or more meetings already) it is a LOGISTICAL nightmare.

A few of the logistical problems:
    The military will most likely be required to acknowledge/support gay marriage...yet the state the family is stationed in may not.
    Acknowledging/supporting gay marriage, the opening up of housing/social affairs will cause problems. The religious in the country have a constitutionally protected right to have a problem. You can't sweep them under the rug or simply tell them to shut up. How will the military handle 2 opposing groups when both groups are in the right?
    There are barracks issues, dismissing these people as stupid or immature simply isn't right.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:18 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• cont.
    barracks...the problem is similar to the one faced when women were allowed in.
    Issues regarding children of gay couples..in states that don't recognize adoptions/gay marriage
    What happens if a couple wants to divorce and they aren't in a gay marriage state?
    Care will need to be taken when openly gay members are deployed...there are places where this might become a big red target on their backs.

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:20 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• What about benefits? Fed law doesn't give benefits.

There are 100's of these!

Are you really sure you want to repeal DADT? As it stands, if they repeal it right now the law will simply revert to the previous code that is still in place. Instead of helping it could actually send people to jail. It will require at least 3 pieces of legislation to get the least of what people are wanting. I actually kind of feel for BO on this one. There is no way he can "win".

BTW, if you don't want to believe me...fine...no skin off my back. I just thought I would share a little of what my husband has shared.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:25 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• ...sorry OP, I wasn't trying to hijack your post!! :)
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:26 AM on Oct. 30, 2010