Would you quit your job if they scheduled you to work your baby's first Halloween even after you requested it off and were promised it off?

I didn't even request the ENTIRE day off. I wanted to help them so I requested to work te morning shift. Instead they scheduled me the afternoon shift both Saturday and Sunday. :(

I was promised I wouldn't have to work the night shift because I have kids.

I have been there long enough to put in requests and them be onsidered, and this is only a part time second job. If I work one extra day per week at my other job (clerical/administration) it makes up the difference of working at this part time job (Starbucks) for an entire week. My boss (at the clerical job) said its okay for me to work the extra day.

Would you go ahead and quit today and give them four hours to gt someone to cover your shift? I don't plan to add this job to my resume anyhow. Or would you put in a week or two notice? My SO says I should just quit today.

Memigen

Asked by Memigen at 10:14 AM on Oct. 30, 2010 in Money & Work

• if you don't think the job is worth it, then quit.
    most states are 'at will' so if they got in their heads to give you the axe it's not like they would worry about you before doing it.
    just do what you think is best.
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 10:39 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• I would not do anything rash. I would first want to hear their explanation as to what happened and why the plans were changed. It could be just a misunderstanding that could be solved by a little discussion. Jobs are hard to come by right now, and even though you don't give them as a reference, it could come back to bite you if you simply up and walk away.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 10:19 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• It is never a good idea to quit a job without notice. I would talk to a supervisor about the situation explaining the facts. I don't think, however that you're going to get much sympathy for wanting your baby's first Halloween off. Do you really think they're going to think that is important to a child less than a year old? It's going to sound like you just want it off for yourself. I believe they're going to be thinking that you'll also want every other Holiday that you can think of off. Or your baby's very first snowfall, etc. You need to think of it from the employers side.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 10:21 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• She is playing you...it sounds like she knows she fuc*ed up by her saying "you can see if someone will switch with you"..whatever..she knows nobody is gonna do that. I would call her back and say.."Yeah, i tried getting in touch with a couple of people and had no luck..i'm sorry but i'm just not gonna be able to make it ..i can't let my kids down...thats why i put in the request when i did..i thought this was taken care of"...just let her deal with it.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 10:27 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• If I had another secure job to fall back on then maybe. But a first Halloween wouldn't be that important for me to quit a job that I obviously need to support the child(ren). You have to think long term not just "today".
    dmdblleb

Answer by dmdblleb at 10:41 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• I wouldn’t only because up coming holidays and I might not find another job.

Let your SO have the dubious honor in taking the kids trick or treating and have him take some pictures.
    musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 10:57 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• If your SO says so then yeah. I would be pissed. Maybe you should talk to the manager again though before you just quit. Tell them that you put in the request off, you were promised it and you ARE NOT coming today because you have plans with your children and they come before any job....and you are not breaking promises with them. Tell your manager that you will show up for your next shift...let them fire you
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 10:19 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• sorry to hear that. I would talk to them and ask why they choose you to work after you requested the time off a long time ago and was promised it and since its not just for nothing its Halloween with your kids after all. If you really need this job to make ends meet that of courese you have to work there and not quit. If you dont really need this job then I dont see why you cant quit it.
    LittleBirdFly

Answer by LittleBirdFly at 10:30 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• You requested the time off, you were granted the time off. What they are doing to you is treating you like shit and that is bad practice for any company. The most successful companies are the ones that treat their employees like they treat their customers: with dignity and respect. Your supervisor is being a bitch. This is what I would say: "I respectfully asked for the time off and was approved. Now, you are going back on your word which I do not appreciate. If a problem has come up, and you need my help, the appropriate thing to do would be to ask me for my help - not shoving it in my face. The fact of the matter is, this is YOUR problem - not mine. I will be coming in in the morning to help you out but I WILL be leaving at noon as I told you in my time off request". Like I usually say: "Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 10:42 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• If this is your kid's first Halloween than he or she isn't very old. You really think they are going to remember it? Why would you make a big deal over something they aren't going to remember. You know employers can get your work record even if you don't write it down. I think you're making a big deal over nothing. It's not like it's Christmas-it's just Halloween.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 10:59 AM on Oct. 30, 2010