can breastmilk be donated? i have a bunch frozen that i cant use!! what do i do with it???

as most of you know, throwing it out would be horrible and heartbreaking!! arent there milk banks or can i give it to the NICU at the hospital?? i dont know what to do...FYI i cant use it due to my baby's lactose intolerance- i tried, it gave her tummy troubles : (

mamagee1218

Asked by mamagee1218 at 10:29 AM on Oct. 30, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:40 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• i have heard of it being donated before, but idk how u would go about doing it. u should call around to places like food banks, nicu, and other places that deal with babies. gl
    Phippsandrea

Answer by Phippsandrea at 10:34 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Yes! There are places where you can donate milk. Google milk donation or milk bank in your area. Some places have them. You have to do a health history and such, but it can be done, and it saves the milk from being wasted. Otherwise, you can give it to a willing friend who will put it to good use.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:24 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• It can be donated but my understanding is that you have to be cleared medically first which means your frozen stash can not be used to donate
    MsHouseWife

Answer by MsHouseWife at 4:43 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• I dont really know. I heard once a couple of years ago that some moms are selling theirs on the internet. But in that news statement they also said to be careful cause you never know what you getting as in safety wise. I know I would not give my baby breast milk from somebody else.
    I honestly doubt that a hospital would consider taking them.
    LittleBirdFly

Answer by LittleBirdFly at 10:33 AM on Oct. 30, 2010