Do you think they should remove the "gay joke" from the movie?

Universal Pictures addressed the furor over its trailer for 'The Dilemma,' in which Vince Vaughn's character calls an electric car gay, by yanking the clip and editing the remark out of a newly released version.

But tweaking the trailer is apparently as far as the studio -- and Ron Howard -- intends to go.

They removed it from the trailer..not the movie....Have they ever seen the 40 yr old virgin?? Its a JOKE....

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 10:34 AM on Oct. 30, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• We have a gay aunt that says things are so gay. For some reason, it's 800 times funnier when she says it. I think the people having the temper tantrums really work for the car industries who are making the cars.

I'll go get a bigger roll of tin foil, I know.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:52 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• I think its silly. Jokes are made in movies and tv about every creed, color, nationality, ethnicity, gender, and sexual preference. They either need to get a sense of humor or thicker skin.
    hobbitswife04

Answer by hobbitswife04 at 10:43 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Slightly off-topic...but in school at this time every year, entire grades with the advance permission of their parents have a "fun day" which includes a PG movie. Last year the movie "Hocus Pocus" (released in 1993) starring Bette Midler, was chosen by the VICE PRINCIPAL in which there were many times where the word "virgin" was used along with a few expletives. The school received a number of complaints from parents that they were not happy with the choice of movie that their 4th GRADERS were exposed to!!

Yesterday, the 5th grade class watched "Casper" (released in 1995), and there several instances where the word "bitch" was expressed. The kids all went "ooooooh" when they heard it! I have no doubt parents will be contacting the school on Monday.

Meanwhile, the "expressiveness" some of these little snowflakes use on a daily basis leaves much to be desired!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 11:10 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• NO NO NO There was no gay joke!!!!

saying something looks gay does not mean you are making fun of gay men and women!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 10:36 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• No, I don't think it should be removed from the movie. I think it was a good move to take it off the trailer though, since some people are super sensitive and obviously found it offensive. By removing it from the trailer, whoever is at home watching TV and the commercial pops up, there won't be a problem. However they can leave it in the movie because you can choose not to see the movie if calling a car gay is offensive. Then again, you can also change the channel on the tv if a commercial offends you.... people are a little ridiculous sometimes imo...
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:40 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• I don't really care. I doubt I will be going to this movie and I don't offend easily unless it's having to do with making fun of the dead or wishing ill on others. And even then I just call it like I see it.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:13 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• 30 years ago, racial slurs were common in movies and on TV. The Dukes of Hazzard drove around in a car that looked like a rebel flag, and it wasn't just normal, it was expected for minorities to be mistreated and disrespected. Publishers made millions selling Truly Tasteless Joke books that sorted racial jokes by category: black, Mexican, Polish, gay, Helen Keller, etc. Fast forward. They make a Dukes of Hazzard movie where the General Lee nearly gets them killed the second they drive into a metro area. Racial slurs only show up on movies and tv to demonstrate the character flaws of the people using them, and it's not "expected" that minorities are mistreated or disrespected. The use of pejorative slurs like "gay" and "retarded" will end up going the same way over time. Looking back, those staunchly defending them now will probably feel a bit silly about it. It's like racism. It takes time.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:31 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• i think the only reason they edit it is to make it a pg or g rating for tv commercials. like they edited harry potter's commercial.
    Phippsandrea

Answer by Phippsandrea at 10:36 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• I understand concern for the comment because of the recent suicide and all but the "That's gay" comment is pretty much a part of the English language now...so much so, actual gay and lesbian individual probably pay it no mind whatsoever. There are jokes that insult every aspect of the human race, not just them.
    Anna-Chubaby

Answer by Anna-Chubaby at 10:39 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• i agree some people need a thicker skin
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 10:52 AM on Oct. 30, 2010