Anyone Have a Recipe for Mashed Butternut Squash?

I was flipping through the Thanksgiving edition of "Every Day With Rachael Ray," and I came upon a great substitute idea for mashed potatoes: mashed butternut squash. That sounds great, but I can't find a good recipe for it. Do you know of any? Also, I was wondering whether I could use pumpkin in it too. If so, how could I incorporate it? I could experiment, I guess, but I'd rather have something tried and true to go off of, since cubing pumpkin and squash TAKES FOREVER. Thanks!

SlightlyPerfect

Asked by SlightlyPerfect at 10:53 AM on Oct. 30, 2010 in Food & Drink

• •1 butternut squash, peeled and cubed
    •2 Tbsp butter or margarine
    •2 tsp brown sugar (more or less to taste)
    •salt and pepper to taste
    •dash fresh ground nutmeg (optional)
    Boil squash cubes until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain. Mash as you would for potatoes, then add remaining ingredients. Serve hot.

Serves about 4 depending on the size of the squash and the appetites
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 10:59 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Cut squash in half lengthwise. Scrape out seeds/slime. Place in baking pan with sides, cut side down. Add about 1/2 inch of water. Bake in 350 degree oven til a knife inserted goes in easily. Remove from oven and let cool enough to handle. Scoop flesh out of skin and put in a bowl. Add butter, cinnamon, nutmeg, and brown sugar to taste, a little cream if you want, and mash. Reheat if necessary.
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 11:16 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Recipes here sound great, but my mom used to just serve it with butter. Delish!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 11:20 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Thanks, ladies. Can i add cooked pumpkin, too? I wonder what that would do to the texture.
    SlightlyPerfect

Comment by SlightlyPerfect (original poster) at 11:41 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• I would not add pumpkin.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 11:53 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Well don't cube any thing. Take the squash and cut it in half. Place in a pan of water about an inch deep and steam it in the oven. It takes about twenty minutes. (remove the seeds first) it is so easy. Then smash it and add what ever you want. I never put sugar in it b/c it is already sweet. It is really yummy.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 12:26 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Sounds so yummy! I make a butternut squash wild rice stuffing that is so good!
    kjbennett26

Answer by kjbennett26 at 2:08 PM on Oct. 30, 2010