Did you miss me? Heh heh

I had my baby last Saturday and he is perfect - very peaceful and very cute. A tough pregnancy is partially to thank for all the time I had here on the Q&As.

Here's my political question: many people have a strong idea about whether they expect their children to follow their religion or if they will encourage them to explore and choose. Politics are just as sensitive - how will you approach this matter with your children?

figaro8895

Asked by figaro8895 at 11:11 AM on Oct. 30, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Congratulation mom
    caramelH

Answer by caramelH at 11:15 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Congratulations on your bundle of joy.

As for the question, I am not particularly religious but I will support my children in anything they want to learn about different religions to make the right choice for themselves.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:15 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• CONGRATS on your baby boy!!! Hope you get some sleep!!

My kids hear us talk and have seen some news and political shows, but my daughter gets upset sometimes (all the DOOM AND GLOOM talk)..so it is limited..But I encourage them to think for themselves, ask questions and manke their decisions. At this point they liek what I like,,,Whne they are older they will make up their own minds...I have no issue with that

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 11:15 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Congrats mama!

If I didn't let my children make up their own minds that would make me a hypocrite since out of my entire family I'm the only conservative and there are several religious views in my family ranging from Pagan to Southern Baptist to Athiest/Agnostic as well.
    BlueCollarMama

Answer by BlueCollarMama at 11:23 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• I am raising my children in my faith. If when they are adults they choose to go in a different direction I would support them. I do feel it's my job to teach them what I believe.
    sopranomommy

Answer by sopranomommy at 11:32 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• they expect their children to follow their religion or if they will encourage them to explore and choose

Congrats!!!!!! My parents let us at the age of 12 start to experience any religion. Or no religion. I have a Buddhist brother, Christian, Athiest..... Etc. So Because of that upbringing I don't expect anything but will encourage them to explore..
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 11:39 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Since my children have autism, I am not concerned with them learning about religious symbolism or metaphysical concepts at this point in time. They know the basics, but I am holding off on their First Holy Communions (having already tried CCD with my 8 year old), until they are old enough to comprehend the idea. And even then it will not be a "mandate" in our home, and this is coming from my husband and I who were raised in very strict Roman Catholic homes--where we attended Catholic schools, and hubby was an Altar Boy and had two maternal uncles who were Catholic Priests.

All I hope that our children eventually learn is they are not the center of the universe--that there is something more powerful than they, and they assimilate to become good, honest, hardworking, respected, and productive members of society.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 11:46 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Actually my youngest (23) is a PolSci major, so when it comes to politics we go to him with questions. Kind of a kid teaching Mom and Dad moment, LOL.
    emptynstr

Answer by emptynstr at 11:48 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Congratulations on the safe delivery of your new baby! Boy, I wish cm would have been around when I was on bedrest for months with my 2nd pregnancy!

We are a very religious family. My boys seem to be following our lead. My oldest can already see how important my faith is to me and how it sustains me. My oldest is VERY politically perceptive and quite conservative! I would not be surprised to see him in some sort of political job as an adult. My youngest son's political interests seem to be confined to running the dog through his "routine." Our dog is very conservative and can be quite vocal if treats are involved!
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 12:02 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• We talk to them, and show them there are two sides, at least, to an issue, and that the people on each side, have their own reasons for their beliefs. We have discussions about news events and religion and ask and listen to their opinions.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 12:13 PM on Oct. 30, 2010