any tips on weaning my 19 month old from the pacifier?

lydia358

Asked by lydia358 at 11:12 AM on Oct. 30, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• They wean themselves. You will get tons of advice from giving them to the "binky fairy", having a "ceremony" where you have them throw it away and give them a new toy in its place, or you could just let them grow out of it. YOU are the mommy and know what's best for YOUR little one. Don't let other people convince you to intervene if you aren't personally upset about it. Everyone has an opinion. If you are the one it is bothering, then take it away and they will adjust. I had two that never had one, and one who I thought was taking it to college! At about 2 she just stopped looking for it. Good luck.
    nova8

Answer by nova8 at 11:18 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• I cut the pacifier part off, so all he could do is hold it and it won't stay in his mouth at all. You have to be careful with this method, because cutting too little off can make it a choking hazard if they chew pieces off. I just cut the nipple off completely, so it's just a base and a ring to hold it. This was the advice of his dentist, so it doesn't mess up his teeth. At first, he was really upset about it and kept saying it was broken and asking us to fix it. He still likes to hold them when he goes to sleep but he no longer uses them during the day, and we only have a couple left in the house now. I've heard some people advise to go cold turkey and just throw them away, and I'm sure that's a great way to do it too. One reason I thought this was a good way is that HE gets to decide it's no good or broken and he doesn't need it rather than us just taking it away from him.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 11:42 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• We also considered taking his last one somewhere like Build A Bear and putting it inside a stuffed animal of his choosing. I've heard of people doing this and thought it was a good idea. Haven't decided for sure if we'll do it yet, since it seems like we may not need to now. He's pretty much weaning himself off of them since he thinks they're all broken now.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 11:44 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Our friends let their kids use the pacifier until they naturally gave it up at age three. They only used it for naps and bedtime.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 11:45 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• We began by limiting it's use, and very slowly and gradually, add to that limit. At 18 mos, pacifier was allowed only for resting. (On the couch, in bed, in car, anywhere we might be where she'd be tired at some point). Around 24-26 mos I think was when we also said that pacifier was only for sleeping, meaning naptime and bedtime only, but anywhere she was (living room, her bed, our bed, anywhere she was going to sleep). About a year later, we added that pacifier was only she was IN BED. Then, maybe at 3 1/2 or so, she was only allowed to use it in HER bed. If she came into my bed during the night, or even early in the morning to watch TV, she HAD to leave the pacifier IN HER BED. It was never allowed to leave her bed, unless we were spending the night somewhere. Then it would have to stay in the bed that she'd be sleeping in. Shortly before her 4th birthday, she "left it under the pillow for the fairy" LOL, I admit
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:58 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• we encouraged that one, but it DID work! The fairy will come take the pacifier for some new baby that needs one, and leave your child a big girl/big boy treat in it's place. You can do a toy, or a piece of candy, or anything really. We used a ring pop, and she also had a reward that when she didn't have the paci anymore, AND made all her pees and poops in the potty (other then overnight), we would take her to get her ears pierced, which she'd been asking for, for a year or so. We told her that they'd use a needle in her ear and then put an earring in, and that it would probably hurt, but it would probably be quick. But, that's another topic LOL
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:01 PM on Oct. 31, 2010