Do you think that there is less racism in America today than say 50 years ago?

Zanjea

Asked by Zanjea at 11:40 AM on Oct. 30, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• No. People are just better at keeping their thoughts and feelings to themselves.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 11:48 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Racism still exists just like it did 50 years ago. I feel like it's gotten a lot better, but we still have a LONG way to go.
    browneyes27

Answer by browneyes27 at 11:51 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• I don't think there is as much, but I think people trying to be PC has gotten way out of hand.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:55 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Sure, it's better. That's not saying much, though. It seems to be having a little comeback lately, also.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 11:56 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• yes
    caramelH

Answer by caramelH at 11:59 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Maybe many of you just aren't old enough to know what was happening 50 years ago. I'm 62 I remember churches were being bombed. 4 little girls were killed in Alabama. Segregation was still in effect in many places, and where it was mandated-black children were escorted to school by police officers. Rosa Parks was asked to ride in the back of the bus. Martin Luther King was killed. I remember seeing separate bathrooms and separate drinking fountains. There was a separate carry-out window at local restaurants where blacks could get food, but could not eat in the restaurant. I remember seeing blacks in theaters-in the balcony. If a black person was waiting for an elevator and a white person walked up-the black person stepped back and did not enter the elevator with the whites. It was illegal in most states for different races to marry. These are my memories. Yes, there is still a way to go, but we have come a long way since then
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 12:10 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Thank you, SweetLuci, for the reminder of how far we have come! It's not something that I lived through, and I think it's important for us to remember.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 12:13 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• I think there is, it has come a long way but it will never be 100% too many ignorant people out there.

Answer by older at 12:20 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• I remember that SweetLuci, I am 68. I recall the mother of a guy I dated in college in 1963 said she was against races mixing-marrying and that whites needed to stay pure and white.etc. I broke up with the guy shortly after that because she made me sick and it would follow that the family was also that prejudiced too. It was a very prejudiced and violent time in the 60's.
    I do think people are becoming more kind and accepting...and educated. They are realizing that we are all God's children--that we ARE alike under the skin....its just skin pigment that is different.And that religious differences are shallow reasons to disapprove of groups of people and that gays are human and deserving of love too.
    Anyway, I hope I am seeing a change .....
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 12:24 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Yes, we've come a LONG way, but there's still a long way to go. I'm sure there will always be some racism out there as long as people FEAR anyone or anything different from themselves though.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 12:32 PM on Oct. 30, 2010