Should children be forced to go to Church with their parents?

Zanjea

Asked by Zanjea at 11:43 AM on Oct. 30, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I would say if the parents are going then yeah...i mean its not like the kids can just stay at home alone. I think they should go until they are old enough to say.."no, i would rather stay home." If they are old enough to be home alone..then let them stay home if you trust them. I think forcing them to go is just not a good thing
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 11:55 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• My husband and I agree -- up to a certain age the child in our home has no choice. At age 16, as long as we can trust them, they can stay home. I will continue to encourage and i will continue to pray, but usually by then theyve hit the age of accountability and have to start figuring out how they want to live their life. At the same time, if I can't trust them to be alone for whatever reason, they go back to being in church with me.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 12:11 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• As soon as the child is old enough to stay home alone for 2 hours I say no. Let it be the child's choice.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 12:23 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• I do believe up to a certain age if the parents are going, the kids should not have a choice.
    annlukas

Answer by annlukas at 12:24 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• My kids are required to go to church with me as long as they live at home. Hopefully after 18 years it will sink in!

Answer by missanc at 12:25 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• If a child is a CHILD and unable to stay home and care for themselves while their parents go to church... Yes, the parents shouldn't have to deny their faith simply because they have children. And if the child is throwing a fit and refusing to go at 3, chances are they aren't being so "forced" to partake in religious beliefs as much as they are simply being forced to be with the family while the family partakes.

Now, that said, if they are 13 or 16 and have no interest in going or openly refuse, I don't believe they should be forced. Religion and Spirituality are very personal things. So while I don't think a parent should be forced to give up their own beliefs simply for the fact that their child doesn't share them, I also don't think the beliefs of the parent should be forced on the child if they do not share them.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:27 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• I agree with missanc.
    nsrush83

Answer by nsrush83 at 12:45 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Should children be forced to go to school until 12th grade??? I don't know, maybe they should just stay home and educate themselves....

Yes, they should go to church with their parents. Whether 8, 12, or 15, as long as the parents are supporting them, of course they have to follow their parents' wishes. I don't understand why we single out religious education as being "forced" upon a child, but schooling is also "forced", seatbelts are also "forced", etc. Should let them play with cigarettes & lighters as well? Seriously, they are CHILDREN unless and until they move out on their own and THEN they can do what they want. JMHO.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 12:47 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Schooling is mandatory because of state laws. Seatbelts are mandatory because of state laws. Yet there is no state law about religious education. Religion is supposed to be something deep and personal and you really cannot achieve that if you are forced into it.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 12:59 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• once a kid is old enough & more importantly mature enough to stay home alone for a couple of hours, then i dont think they should be forced to go to church. the teen church friends i had that werent forced to go to church (like i was) didnt have as hard a time finding their own faith...most went to church on their own. while myself and the others that were forced to go resented church and stopped going for years once we got away from our families.

i want my kids to go to church b/c they want to, not b/c they have to...talk about not having your own faith!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 1:04 PM on Oct. 30, 2010