Help! I made a big boo boo!

I use dried beans in some of my cooking. I usually take them out of the bags and put them in jars. I didnt label this time, thinking I can tell the difference between pinto beans and small red kidney beans. Apparently I can't, not first thing in the morning. Now I have a rather large pot of kidney beans going. Besides making chili, what can I do with them? Can they be frozen for later? Please help!

duckigrrl

Asked by duckigrrl at 11:47 AM on Oct. 30, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I would add the other beans and make a pot of mixed baked beans. My mother in law makes hers out of 4 types of beans and it is fantastic!
    MamaJasmine

Answer by MamaJasmine at 11:50 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Red beans and rice, baked beans, bean salad are what come to mind. I also found a site you might like..

http://www.justbeanrecipes.com/inxbky.html

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:50 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• They can be frozen and used later, or just add chili powder, cumin and oregano and serve over rice. Red beans and rice, so good!
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 11:51 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• they taste similar anyways...to me. idk what i would do chili and soups about all i use either of them for anyways
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 11:52 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Yes, you can freeze them and later on make a 2+ chili meal. At times I've make 4 types of chili and my husband just loves it.
    musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 11:59 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Dude, that's the worst red beans and rice recipe I've ever heard.
    Sautee onions, bell pepper, garlic, and celery together. Dump in the beans. Fry some bacon, or use fatback or even a hambone if you can get it, dump it in there. Add two bay leaves, cayenne, white and black pepper, salt, thyme, sage, and parsley. Cook it low and slow until the beans are super soft. Scoop out a cup or so and mash em up, then dump the mash back it. (This gives it that creaminess that is so yum). Fry up some andoullie and serve with rice and a a dash of vinegar right before you eat.
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 12:12 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• I made this really good soup, it had apple sausage, chicken and some itillian spices. A few chopped tomatoes, carrots, celery and a little bit of tomato paste. It was so yummy. Every one loved it.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 12:24 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Definitely freeze them. When they're done, drain them, and scoop into freezer bags or containers - I prefer bags because I can get the air out. I didn't think pinto & kidney looked at all similar though.
    Anonymous

• Thanks for all your help, ladies. I'm loving the recipes and ideas. They don't look similar to me either, when I'm wide awake, so that's' why I had the problem. : )
    duckigrrl

Comment by duckigrrl (original poster) at 1:18 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• I have several great bean recipes; send me a message if you would like some.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:56 PM on Oct. 30, 2010