Is co-sleeping bad for toddlers?

My son is 15 months old. He has only slept through the night >30 times in his life (I'm not kidding!). About a month ago when he would wake up, ususally only once, he WOULD NOT go back to sleep in his own bed. I finally gave in and now usually when he wakes up (aboiut 2am) he ends up in bed with me for the rest of the night. He never coslept with me up until now. Is this really bad for kids or is that opinion overrated? I'm a single parent so its not like he's interuppting anything. I also am not going to let him cry it out...I can't do that...I've tried.

alexsmom713

Asked by alexsmom713 at 11:51 PM on Oct. 30, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Yes and no, you could have problems later, I usually just sent mine back to bed
    Wolfmother

Answer by Wolfmother at 11:59 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• well i guess you are going to get positive feed backs and negative feed backs alexmom713 but i am not a good idea because i live through it with my oldest son who is now 22 but when he was younger and because he was the first child i never knew any better, because i just wanted to spend so much time with him and what a bad mistake he was 6 years old before i could get him in his own,, bed and i tried everything it just seem like it would be okay when they are tiny because you both sleep through the night, and you are a peace because your child is right beside you and nothing wrong with that,,, but it was just so very hard and all your privacy went out the window, because i would wait for him to fall asleep than next thing you know there he was so i think that if you just want to bond with the child for a little while ,, thats okay i never made the same mistake with matty my second child and it was no problem,,
    onthego234

Answer by onthego234 at 12:01 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• it could be a problem @ 1st i would try to take him back to his bed and u go also,and comfort him untill he goes to sleep in his own bed if it doesn't work after that then i am not sure it always worked 4 me
    my4loviees

Answer by my4loviees at 12:11 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• There is no problem with it! If you don't mind and he sleeps well with you then that's great! He's still a baby and wants you to shoq you are there for him. My son is 12 months and we still cosleep. Enjoy this time, before you know it he won't even want to snuggle lol
    NoNonsenseMama

Answer by NoNonsenseMama at 12:52 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• I wish I would've co - slept! do it!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:23 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• up to you. my baby slept with me until she was 6 months old and everyone told me ohh no your gonna roll on her...i dont understand that one, if she breathed hard i woke up let along roll on her pfft. she slept curled up in my arm every night.
    BUT..a lot of ppl say if they keep doing that they develp a bad tendency. mine is 22 months now and wont sleep with us lol. she will only sleep in her bed. i would syay follow your own instincts with the kid
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 1:49 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• We've coslept with all of ours for varying lengths of time. At some point they have all left, mostly without tears at the time, but sometimes with. I will say that waiting on a 1-2 yo to cry it out (takes only a couple of days) is much easier than waiting on a 3-5 yo to cry it out because their attention span is much longer at that time and they will keep on and on and on just to irritate the snot out of you. If they know you can't take the tears before they are 3-5 then they know it's getting under your skin to let them cry at that point when you may be just up to "here" with a situation or need it to change for whatever reason. In other words, no, there's nothing wrong with cosleeping. It can be great! But realize that "never" allowing a crying it out moment isn't really going to happen either. At some point he will demand something that you say no to and he will cry it out or he will run the house from then on.
    GrowingMama

Answer by GrowingMama at 2:15 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• I also have 15 month old. We are trying to get her to sleep through the night. I have been sleeping on the couch (ugh) because if she sees me she will want to breastfeed all night! So she sleeps with dh in our bed. She walks up once a night for water and goes right back to sleep. We figure once she sleeps through the night, she'll sleep in her own bed.

My little brother came into my parents bed until he was in elementary school! My mom was pretty good about it. She figured he would grow out of it and he did. It just took some time. Everyone is different.

I am glad you are not doing the cry it out thing!!! Some kids need a little more security!
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 3:06 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• Mine sometimes wakes up in the middle of the night too. I just rock him for about 30 min in his room till he falls asleep in my arms and then lay him back in his bed. You can't put them back into their bed if they are still awake and aware. Mine won't do that either. I have rocked him like 5 min and tried to lay him back down and he screams. Mind you my child never co sleeps and only wakes up occasionally at night like that. Its a process, I am up for close to an hour rocking and all of that but I do NOT want him to get used to being in my bed every night unless that was the last resort.
    mamma2bubba

Answer by mamma2bubba at 8:36 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• All my kids did what yours is doing now. Sometimes I would put them back to bed after they fell back to sleep. More often then not I just snuggled with them and went back to sleep. There is no hard and fast rule about it in our home. It seems to me that my kids do it when they are needing more mom time. So I indulge them and me too. :) Not much help am I? :)
    MomShawn70

Answer by MomShawn70 at 8:39 AM on Oct. 31, 2008