applesauce in place of vegetable oil

okay, i asked earlier if i could use olive oil to make brownies since im out of vegetable oil and butter makes my brownies "cakey" and not fudgy. i got a couple of answers that stated i can use applesauce. my questio now is, would i use the same amount of applesauce that would be called for vegetable oil? like 1 1/4 cup for example, or less or more? and is mott's original flavor okay to use? im just asking a new question because i asked the other one a while ago and im not expecting any more answers on the previous question. plus we want to make them soon =) thanks in advance!

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 11:51 AM on Oct. 30, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Yes - 1 cup of veg oil = 1 cup applesauce
    5BabyBees

Answer by 5BabyBees at 11:53 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Yes, same amount and you can't taste the apple flavor.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:52 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• It's equal to, I believe.
    LuvBug3

Answer by LuvBug3 at 11:53 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• my g-ma has pancreatitis and cant have fat....she does this all the time! she even bakes bread and cakes with applesauce...i can taste a difference but most ppl wont notice...especially if they dont know you did it, and cakes, especially are much more moist this way....
    mamagee1218

Answer by mamagee1218 at 11:57 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Olive oil should not make any difference in your brownies. Oil is oil. I have not used apple sauce let us know how they turn out. I read that you can use prunes.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 12:22 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Same amount. But if you use "original", I have to assume that it's loaded with extra sugar - which will affect them. If you don't have unsweetened, use the olive oil. OR, use half olive oil, half applesauce.
    Anonymous

She said that butter makes them cakey. She didn't say that olive oil is different than any other oil. But, depending what kind of olive oil it can give off a strong flavor. Also, not all olive oil is for high heat or baking.
    BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 4:20 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• okay, thank you ladies! im excited to get started on our halloween brownies with the kids! its like a tradition ive started. lol
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 11:58 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• well ladies, i used applesauce and i cannot taste a difference. however, they still came out cakey. oh well, atleast we have brownies =)
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 4:22 PM on Oct. 30, 2010