Did you attend a birthing class?

I personally don't plan on attending any classes because the hospital I will be delivering at that gives such classes is more than an hour and a half away. Did you attend a class? Do you think missing out on it is a bad idea, especially since this is my first baby?

Anna-Chubaby

Asked by Anna-Chubaby at 12:42 PM on Oct. 30, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Nope, in my opinion they are a complete waste of time. I'm on child 3 and have yet to find any merit in classes or books. If you are the type of person who needs that little reassurance, the classes aren't going to hurt, but don't expect the reality of labor to be anything like class.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:50 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• I was signed up for one...but then my son came 12 weeks early..
    nsrush83

Answer by nsrush83 at 12:44 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• I never attended birthing class and i think i did okay with my labor
    nicjon

Answer by nicjon at 12:44 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Yes, I did, and yes I think it is a bad idea to miss out, specially for your first. It informs you and prepares you for what is coming, it trains you on techniques to bear the pain, it is really worth going, specially with your first, don't miss it.

Answer by older at 12:46 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• i did not attend classes. we couldn't afford them. i did fine with both of my children. the doctors and nurses will help you and some of it is just plain old instinct. if you are really worried do some searching online for the extra answers you need.
    TZimm

Answer by TZimm at 12:46 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• I did with my first baby. but with my second baby i did the classes in the hospital right before i gave birth, personally i think they are both the same. Your gonna do just fine. Good luck.
    ashes331

Answer by ashes331 at 12:46 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• I went to a childbirth class before my first child was born. It helped because I knew exactly what to expect and what was happening with my body. It made me more relaxed. If you don't plan to take a class, at least read up on the subject. It's one of the most important events in your life and you want to be prepared!

Answer by missanc at 12:46 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• I have taken several kinds of birth classes, some repeatedly, lol!

IMO, it depends on what you want from your birth experience.
    Are you feeling prepared?
    Do you understand all your many options and their risks-benefits?

When you go to the hospital in labor, you are very likely to run through their protocols & procedures which are often unnecessary and add risks. More convenient for staff, less safe for mom & baby.

Depends on what you want, your preferences.

You can get a birth doula to help you in a similar way as the classes, but also will help you through the process in-person!
    ;-)
    There are also online classes, books, videos, etc...
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:50 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• I went. I thought they were really helpful. It was a really good time to ask questions. I got to see what an epidural needle looked like and practice breathing techniques. I thought they were pretty fun.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 12:50 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Yes, I took one. It was really helpful. There is tons of info online. Google Lamaze, labor breathing, prenatal class, etc. Good luck with the baby!!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 1:03 PM on Oct. 30, 2010