How do I get my husband....

to take better care of himself? He doesn't brush his teeth (therefore we never kiss), he only showers every other day if at best. He needs to lose about 20 lbs. at minimum. I've tried for so long to "overlook" his personal hygiene because "looks aren't everything". But it's getting to the point where I don't even want to be in the same room as him.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:58 PM on Oct. 30, 2010 in Relationships

• Let him read this post! or just come out and tell him straight up, there is no easy way to do this but straight and to the point.

Answer by older at 1:00 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• he sounds like my ex husband except the weight thing. just tell him how you feel about it. other than that i'm not sure.. good luck though
    proudmommy690

Answer by proudmommy690 at 1:00 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• tell him. just straight out tell him. Say you are concerned for him because he isn't taking good care of himself. He may not like it at first but you can't help it if you are concerned.
    dbodani

Answer by dbodani at 1:01 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• You may want to let him know that infections in your gums can lead to heart problems. That's why some people w/ heart conditions have to load up on antibiotics before they go to the dentist. Does he have a skin condition that makes him not want to bathe/shower? If not & this is due to laziness, maybe he's a bit too comfortable in your relationship, and needs to step it up a notch. How about taking walks together & even showers together! He'll get some exercise & get clean while getting dirty all at the same time :) Goodl luck
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 1:05 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• This is one of those scenarios you'll have to really judge DH on. If my DH is stinky, I tease him about it. I would approach it as, "Man, babe, did you shower?" I know not every husband is like mine, but might be worth a try...
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 1:10 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Was his hygeine this poor when you married him or is this new behavoiur on his part?
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 3:14 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Is he depressed? Not taking care of oneself could be a sign of it. If he is depressed then, that would have to be addressed forst & the other things will follow.
    BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 4:34 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• My twenty year old son is like this. I keep nagging him. I am hopeful that one day he will grow out of this 'grunge" stage. How old is your husband? ASk him if he is capable of change for the good of your relationship. He sounds like he has gotten lazy.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 6:31 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Suggest taking showers with him, and when in the bathroom get your toothbrush and his ready and hand it to him, and hint that you love it when he showers every night before bed.. Or something. If that does not work , you may have to tell him straight out!
    Luisa621

Answer by Luisa621 at 3:28 AM on Oct. 31, 2010