What would you do if you were born in an economically depressed country?

If you had no way to earn a living a living to support your family? What if your best opportunity was to move ilegally to another country and work for minumum wage to keep your family fed with a roof over your head? Would you do whatever you had to take care of your family, or would you stay in your native country and watch your children grow up without basic things like, food, clothing, and shelter?

For those of you who are so angry at ilegal immigrants, have you ever thought about the conditions they leave behind to come here and give their children a better life. Have you ever stopped to think about what it would be like to live in a country where most of the people live below the poverty line, so no matter how hard you work or what you do, you just can't meet the basic needs of your family?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:08 AM on Oct. 31, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• Of course I would go for a better life. I would do whatever I HAD to do to give my children a better life. You never know what your going to do until your put in that position...But for me going into another country illegally would have to be a VERY last resort.
    Izzyscrazymom

Answer by Izzyscrazymom at 12:15 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• honestly I would stay.... breaking the law is breaking the law.....
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 12:10 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• It's not so much the imigrants that people are angry over it's the way they treat us like dirt, refusing to learn the language, rallying around theirm flag and crap, If your so proud of your country go back, if you want to be an american then be an american!!

It's the fact that they come here and get welfare and medicaid causing our taxes to go up, they insist we speak their language, (They came to us) They get grants and scholarsihps.

And if you look around there are alot of americans in the exact same situation you are describing. So Back Off
    Wolfmother

Answer by Wolfmother at 12:13 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• AMEN:
    It's not so much the imigrants that people are angry over it's the way they treat us like dirt, refusing to learn the language, rallying around theirm flag and crap, If your so proud of your country go back, if you want to be an american then be an american!!

alicia_4307

Answer by alicia_4307 at 12:26 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• If we were to go to another country, illegally, I suspect we'd be rounded up and sent to a detention jail or something of the sort. So that would be out of the question....
    And to play this game, we must be talking about Mexico, b/c if I were to be so poor as to not be able to put food on the table, how would I be able to afford the passage for my family to enter a country with no promise of a roof or food, except in America? woo hooo, did I win?
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 12:30 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• No, I wouldnt, i would work my ass off regardless of the situation for the time being and if i wanted to go to another country because it was better, i would do it the right way. And if you are going to say it takes so long to do that, thats only because the people that are here illegally, are making it that way. That is why it is so tough. breaking the law is breaking the law. i wouldnt put my family at risk of walking into another country being illegal immigrants and having the chance at any second to be torn apart from eachother deported only to have to live the way we were before try it all over again, and maybe even end up in jail and my kids be seperated from me.
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 12:38 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• CONT
    i would never put my kids through anything like that. but i WOULD work my ass off and do anything i could to support them. HEY THEY ALWAYS HAVE THE OPTION TO HAVE AN ID TO JUST WORK HERE BUT HAVE TO GO BACK TO MEXICO AT THE END OF THE DAY. THEN THEY WOULD BE MAKING MONEY AND BE ABLE TO SUPPORT THEIR FAMILY THAT THEY CHOSE TO HAVE.
    KelsoBabeyy

• Heck yeah, I would move illegally. Especially if that country didn't do anything about it except to give me hand-out after hand-out, provide for my family, and give me better health care than their own citizens. I would be stupid not to!! ~~ They might even let me vote if I stay long enough :)

But, if they actually made my life just as hard as it was in my home that I left, I would be more inclined to stay and try to make my situation the best I could. And.....if nobody ever left my country, maybe it would be a lot better! If enough of us got together and pooled our resources, we might just make it after all.
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 12:50 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• I cannot help it you were born in a poor country but I would work hard to support my family and I would not go to another country illegally. There are way too many illegals here having babies that we have to pay for and support. That is wrong and then they demand we speak their language and have special classes for them. We need to take care of our own children.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:16 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• I wouldn't have kids first off if I could not provide the basics. If that meant no sex it would mean no sex. I would never harm a child like that. Since I would not have children I would find a way to a border town and work in a factory and save what little money I made. In time I would find away to come to America legally. I know many people who did just what I said and came here. They worked hard and got here legally. Made a life then had kids. Many Americans won't bother to do this they are just lucky the government and taxpayers are there to pick up the tab.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:30 AM on Oct. 31, 2008