How do I get my lovebird to warm up to me?

I was given a lovebird that has never been held. She cowers when I get near her cage, but I'd like to be able to pet her. How can gain her trust?

brandyj

Asked by brandyj at 1:04 PM on Oct. 30, 2010 in Pets

• DUDE try this ok open her cage try and give her a pic of really yummy bird food just keep working with her every day feeding her from your hand IDK y or how but it works you will gain her trust and onces you do that then you can work with her more by picking her up and petting her... As i said idk why it works but it does i'v worked with a parrot who had been very badlly abused and negleted she came around but it took her a little time and yes the 1st night i got her out of the hell called her old home she would take food from me
    myraclemommy

Answer by myraclemommy at 10:49 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• How long have you had her? She will need time to get used to you. For now, just leave her in her cage. DON'T rush her. Open her cage whenever you can even if she wont' come out. After you have had her for a week or so, if she isn't as scared when you are close to her cage, you can try putting your hand in the cage but pay very close attention to her body language. Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions!
    VeggieMuslima

Answer by VeggieMuslima at 1:10 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• Ouch... I wish I can have an answer... did you try to google it?
    Monica655

Answer by Monica655 at 7:50 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• I agree with VeggieMuslima. The bird will come around I it's own time
    HomeAlone45

Answer by HomeAlone45 at 6:49 PM on Oct. 31, 2010