My baby spits up constantly. Is this common?

I change his clothes every few hours due to wetness. Our first born was not like this at all. The only thing I can think is that I was put on antibiotics directly after birth due to a aweful ear infection, and the colostum didnt have the full benifit. I have been giving him infant probiotics for about three weeks now, has not helped with the spit up. He is growing great! The spit up drenching his clothes every time we nurse drives me crazy. Is this normal? Any recommendations on how to deal with this?

llayla

Asked by llayla at 12:08 AM on Oct. 31, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It is VERY normal! My son spit up ALL the time from the day he was born! They grow out of it!!! Nothing really you can do besides make sure you burp him good enough. Thats what the doctor told me. As long as he is growing good!!
    LeighAnn0901

Answer by LeighAnn0901 at 12:15 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• my daughter can spit up alot. i found the only thing that helps her is after she eats have her sit upright for 30 minutes or so and try to stay still. lets her little belly start digesting some. cuts down on the spit up ALOT other wise watch out lol
    jltorres87

Answer by jltorres87 at 12:37 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• its normal to a point. My son had spit up a lot and we found out it was acid reflux which is treatable with drops. No biggie.
    sdADDmom

Answer by sdADDmom at 1:37 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• It could be reflux. Talk to his doctor about it. It is normal from what I'm told. My son has it. He's on solutab Prevacid. Also, I teaspoon of rice cereal per ounce in his bottles. The prevacid to relieve any discomfort. The rice cereal to help keep the formula down.
    AndreaDawn1984

Answer by AndreaDawn1984 at 2:45 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• it might also be your baby might not handle the formula my son did that and i had to change his formula from similac to isomil but he did grow out of it now he can get regular milk hes 5 now
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 7:23 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• No, that much spit up IS NOT NORMAL, The Breast Milk or Formula is Upsetting his stomach, Not Agreeing with him,(now that part is quite common,and that means you try something else)... EnFamil has always been the Gold Standard, meaning it agree's with most babies... I'm Older I hope you'll listen to someone with a lot of experience over the Young One's........ Would you want to spit up your food and drink after you ate everytime??? Its Cruel for you not to fix this... You need to change the milk...
    Kay300

Answer by Kay300 at 8:08 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• I would check with the doctor. If he is projectile vomiting he may have reflux, but if he is just spitting up it is probably normal. My daughter spit up with almost every bottle until she was about 7 months old. I was told she would grow out of it, and she has. The only time she spits up now is when she is not feeling well. I am sure your breast milk is fine-it is more likely that his tummy gets too full. It might look like he spit everything he ate up. But it is mixed with saliva, so as long as he is gaining weight he should be fine. Just check with your doctor to be sure.
    I know the wet clothes is so frustrating, but that is the live of an infant. Good luck!! I would also ignore what Kay300 had to say. You are not being cruel to your baby-she is obviously misinformed.
    hutch2579

Answer by hutch2579 at 8:16 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• If he isn't unhappy while spitting there probably isn't much cause for alarm. Just mention it to your pediatrician. I had 3 spitters - 2 with severe reflux and one happy spitter. One of the reflux babies gained well because he was always eating (I bf'd) and it was soothing to his little throat. I had to cut out all forms of dairy from both of our diets. I also kept them upright for 20-30 minutes after eating. It helps with any discomfort. My happy spitter - you could just look at her and there would be milk all over the place. didn't have reflux and never gained well and was happy as can be.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 8:25 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• My daughter spits up all the time too, even hours after she has ate. I was told by my ped to only worry is she is showing dicomfort after spitting up or isn't gaining weight. The spitting up doesn't bug her a bit and she is gaining just fine so I will have to wait for her to grow out of it.
    She hates getting clothes changed so I leave a bib on her most of the day. You might try a soft cotton bib, then you can just change that when he spits up.
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 9:01 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• Is he having bowel movements regularly? Does the doctor feel he is growing well or just well enough to not be too worried? Does it seem like he is spitting most or all of his feeding? I know it's hard to tell since you're nursing. It could be something you're eating that is going into your breastmilk and bothering him. It could be something more serious.
    jms124

Answer by jms124 at 9:32 AM on Oct. 31, 2008