What's the most difficult book you've ever read?

Are you reading it now?

I had to force myself to finish The Vampire Lestat. I was able to finish Dante's Inferno in about two weeks.

_Tam_

Asked by _Tam_ at 1:14 PM on Oct. 30, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• Essentials of Pharmacology, one of my nursing school textbooks. Drugs are hard to understand, yo.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 8:15 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• The Canterbury Tales, in Middle English.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 1:46 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• The Myth of Sisyphus, which isn't so much a book as it is a philosophical essay by Albert Camus. While terribly dense, it's provided fodder for many late night whiskey fueled discussions.
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 1:16 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• When Rabit Howls, and no, I'm not reading it now, I would like to try again, but the last time I only got about a quarter of the way through... I don't read fiction, and I'm dyslexic, so I tend to take a while to get through things and actually absorb everything I'm learning... But I still love to read.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:17 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Anna Karinina- it was one of Oprah's book club books. So difficult. I never finished it, but would like to try again someday (when my kids are older and not needing as much attention)
    Sharell8710

Answer by Sharell8710 at 1:17 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• I don't remember the title, but it was a Tom Clancy book. I just can't get into all that military jargon and whatnot, but it was the only book I could find in my house that I hadn't read yet.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 1:31 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Atlas Shrugged - I had to force myself to finish it, and that was even skimming some parts. So preachy and self righteous, ugh.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 2:21 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Anna Karinina and Atlas Shrugged are two on my list. The Samarillion by Tolkien was close to evil, but I was able to muddle through it.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 7:41 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• I started The Hobbit, but couldn't get past the umpteen pages of him describing a hill. I tried reading the Sum of All Fears, but had to put it down.
    _Tam_

Comment by _Tam_ (original poster) at 8:15 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Last of the Mohicans. Great film, way too difficult book for me.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 12:31 AM on Oct. 31, 2010