How do you know it's strep-throat?

My DD who's 3 and has a speech delay so she can't tell me how she feels...she has a runny nose...tonsillitis...right?

I on the other hand have no runny nose and my throat is killing me...strep? How long do I need to wait before I go to the dr to get a test to show up positive?

Thanks :)

chupachyps

Asked by chupachyps at 1:15 PM on Oct. 30, 2010 in Health

• There are NOT always spots with strep - there are new strains that are harder to "see", but still show up on a test. You don't have to wait a certain amount of time, if it's strep, it will give a positive test. If you're worried about strep, get your butt to the doctor ASAP.
    Anonymous

• Streptococci viruses leave white pustules on the back of your throat and tonsils. Can someone look in your mouth? It will look like strawberries, only strawberries with white seeds instead of black. Otherwise, it could just be an inflamation due to another infection somewhere else.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 1:19 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• I have "heard" that your throat feels like it has glass in it and that you will have white spots back there...
    Queenofscrap

Answer by Queenofscrap at 1:17 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• the glands might go up on the neck, white patches in back of throat...maybe a fever
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 1:18 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• also strep is contagious, so if it just feels like its getting worse, like you cant even swallow cause it hurts so bad, make appt for you and dd to get checked out on Monday

beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 1:20 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• more like really really red with little white sacks not spots I have had lots of strep throats the white sacks are like yeast podules
    405mom

Answer by 405mom at 1:21 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• postules*
    405mom

Answer by 405mom at 1:22 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• if a bedroom door is shut and the person has strep there is a odor. white spots , red streaks , i would get it checked asap antibotics need to be given right away if it is. i had it and i ended up with pneumonia.
    WildCat73

Answer by WildCat73 at 2:02 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• bump

Answer by older at 9:10 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Yeah my kids get white spots and no strep, I would look for persistent fever and some times the throat is red and swollen. the strep test is the best way to know sorry
    kileighsmommie

Answer by kileighsmommie at 9:05 AM on Oct. 31, 2010