Why do you think international adoptions are so popular?

American couples wanting to adopt from other countries and other countries wanting to adopt American children. Would this be an implication that "the grass is greener?" Why or why not?

I have no idea what the answer to these questions would be, hence me asking them. This should indicate that I am, once again, genuinely curious.

_Tam_

Asked by _Tam_ at 1:17 PM on Oct. 30, 2010 in Adoption

• I think people generally see the need as greater in those countries. I saw an interview with a couple who had adopted 3 disabled children from over seas, although I can't remember the exact country. When asked why they choose to adopt from that country and why those children they said because in that area of the world it's still common practice to simply place disabled children or adults in institutions and forget them... They said they felt that even if a child here had to remain in foster care or a group home because they chose not to adopt locally they still felt they were doing the greater good by saving a child from the "unspeakable abuses" which go on in those institutions...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:20 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• There are a myriad of reasons people adopt internationally. Some people see a need...some people do not feel comfortable with the FC system or the domestic infant system here, some people have ties with their country of choice...it is a very personal decision.
    We adopted from China. We decided on our first date at 16 that we would adopt from China whether we had bio children or not. We suffered IF for 7 years before losing our daughter at 36 weeks due to stillbirth. We decided to adopt from China as we were not prepared to relinquish a child back to their rightful parents which is the goal of FC, and we did not feel like we wanted to adopt an infant here as so many women are coerced into placing and most could parent successfully. Our daughter was in China and came to our family at 17 months. We are contemplating adopting a SN boy in the future from China. ( we also have a bio dd that came along after we adopted).
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 1:26 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• I've seen it mentioned that one of the reasons for some is because they dont want to have to "deal" with a birthmother! (pretty selfish reason IMO)
    Anonymous

• They are not SO popular. Less than 1/4th of all adoptions each year are international adoptions. It is a personal choice and many many factors contribute to why couples or an individual choose adoption and the way in which they bring their child home. The vast majority of adoptions in the United States are from foster care. That IS a fact.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:11 AM on Nov. 1, 2010

• Maybe they feel that there is a greater need for international children. Or that it is easier. Both false.
    TALuke

Answer by TALuke at 12:07 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• In our personal situation, international is easier than domestic. That won't be true for everyone, but for us it is easier. And I don't feel that we should let country boundaries decide what child is most deserving of a family. A child in need is a child in need, and we are adopting from Ethiopia.
    VeggieMuslima

Answer by VeggieMuslima at 12:33 PM on Oct. 31, 2010