Do you think that cursive should still be taught in school?

I remember learning it in the 2nd grade.

_Tam_

Asked by _Tam_ at 1:25 PM on Oct. 30, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Yes, at least the basics and how to sign your name!
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 8:40 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• It's funny how many people say they never write in cursive. I find it very difficult to write in block letters. I feel like if you're going to write by hand, it's really the only efficient way to do it.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 1:41 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• As a teacher, I think the kids should be exposed to it, but I don't think it should take up much instructional time. I also don't think kids who struggle with it should be forced to try to do it correctly. Many adults never write in cursive. Trying to force kids to do it when they have a hard time is just a wast of time and it frustrates the kids.

maxswolfsuit

Answer by maxswolfsuit at 1:58 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Yes I do
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 1:26 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• I think they need to be able to read it more than they need to be able to write it.
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 1:33 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Yes I do. I homeschool my DD and she started learning to write in cursive in kindergarten this year. We will be finishing our year the first week of December and she can already write better in cursive than most adults I know. She loves it, and her penmanship is beautiful.
    RheaF

Answer by RheaF at 4:44 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• I think it should be taught.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 11:54 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Cursive is a lost art, like writing letters. It would be nice to use again. My oldest writes in cursive most of the time and she's already in high school. I normally use it when I'm writing notes to myself and I'm using my shorthand. It all flows smoother.
    My son is in 3rd and I don't think he's learned it yet. Of course, I don't understand half of what he writes and usually I can understand chicken scratch. It should be taught because one day somewhere someone will write in cursive and they will have to figure out what it says. Kind of like a historian has to look at a Norman French document written in 1300. We don't speak like that anymore and you really have to learn it on your own or what use are you to the History department? (Ridiculous analogy, I know but you get the point.) LOL ;)
    Danaefm

Answer by Danaefm at 10:17 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• I think kids should still be taught cursive writing. One of the many reasons I think they should know how is because everyone needs a 'signature'. How is this future set of adults going to sign a signature if they never learned cursive writing? We are going to have a whole generation of adults printing their names like first graders.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 10:42 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• Yes. Like someone pointed out in another discussion I heard about it - a lot of HISTORICAL documents are in cursive. One should be able to read and write it, even if later on they choose not to, because maybe they will need it for later on to read other people's writing, etc..

PS We homeschool and my DS (7) LOVES learning cursive.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:08 AM on Nov. 1, 2010