• In the Spotlight:

How many of you prefer people to sanatize their hands before touching your child?

When people come in from outside how many of you prefer them to use sanatizer to clean their hands before getting all over the children? We do this and wonder how many more people do this?

SylviaNCali

Asked by SylviaNCali at 12:12 AM on Oct. 31, 2008 in Kids' Health

• never worried about, and still don't worry about it. My kids are 6 and 7. I do however make sure hands are washed before preparing food or eating food..... .
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 12:18 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• You've got to be kidding? do you think the kids at school use sanitizer before touching each other, what about the teachers, let's not forget the school bus. Then there's the friends' homes and toys, the dogs, cats, library books etc. You can't sanitize the whole world. Kids NEED Germs to build up immunity to them. And their immune systems

our civilization survived just fine without sanitizer for thousands of years
    Wolfmother

Answer by Wolfmother at 12:19 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• Well, I would agree with you, but lately I have been hearing different opinions... I used to work at the hospital, so I was all about hand sanitizer... Yet for the past two years, I have been sick alot... I have been finding out that this actually makes it worse because it kills all the germs, we, however, need some germs to build our immunity up. I am trying to not use it as much as I used to. Here is something else to consider... growing up, we never had hand sanitizer, yet we all managed to survive...
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 12:21 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• I do not do that... WHY? I think being to clean is BAD.... that is why childrens immuned systems aren't immuned to anything!!!!!!!!!
    CCloud6

Answer by CCloud6 at 12:21 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• i only plan on doing this when our baby is born. you should be washing your hands when they are dirty in the first place. but as they are older its not like oh if your going to give my child a hug sanitize your hands first. (they wont be holding my 7 yr old lol.)
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 12:42 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• LOL...This MUST be your first baby? ~~ Don't worry, you will relax more and more over time. I swear my youngest (#4) is the healthiest because she hardly had anything sterilized and has had a good chance to develop quite an immune system! :)
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 12:43 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• I've looked at the OP homepage...it looks as if her youngest is at least 2 years old. :)
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 12:51 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• Germs are every where and there is no way to avoid 100% of germs. But we all know they're good and bad germs and it's never wise to expose anyone to the bad germs like E. coli, salmonella etc.. can be found on peoples hands who choose not to wash them for whatever reason. Eating healthy helps build the immune system up. SOME germs are helpful to be exposed to but also some aren't good. Since we can't see them to know which is which it's wise to not expose your kids to things that are known to carry the dangerous germs. HANDS are one of those things that have a lot of bad stuff on it. So if you think they need to be exposed to germs found in raw meet or poop then that's on you. I know better. Not all germs are equal. That is all I'm saying.

SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 12:57 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• OK ladies thanks so far for the comments.
    SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 1:00 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• Personally I think we overuse the hand sanitizer thing. I do have it in my home. But I think exposing kids to some germs builds their immune system. The only time I was overly concerned with people washing or sanitizing their hands was when the baby was first born.
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 1:04 AM on Oct. 31, 2008