How do you get a stain out of a wood cutting board?

I have a beautiful wood cutting board that has a dull gray stain that was from a plant sitting on it. I've used salt and lemon thus far, any one have a suggestion to get rid of it? My husband had it made for me so I would hate if it were ruined...

donnareedonLSD

Asked by donnareedonLSD at 2:13 PM on Oct. 30, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Try rubbing the stain with a lemon cut in half, let it sit overnight , if that doesn't work rub it again with lemon and set in in Sun, it should fade then.
    MerryMe

Answer by MerryMe at 2:21 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• You could try putting it in a sunny place and see if the sunlight bleaches out the stain. Though I've always found that if you ignore cutting board stains, they fade out over time.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 2:16 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Try sanding it down until the stain goes.

Answer by older at 2:17 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Make a paste with baking soda and vinegar. Spread the paste over the stain, don't skimp and make sure you excede the edges of the stain by roughly 1/2 an inch. Immdeiately place plastic wrap over the whole area and seal with painters tape (comes off easily and wont ruin your board). Leave untouched for 48-72 hrs. The paste should remove any stain. The same works wonders on marble counter tops :)
    nubicy

Answer by nubicy at 2:23 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• If possible, I would sand the board down. take a cookie sheet or pizza pan and put 1/2" of vegetable oil in the bottom and soak your board over night. This will seal the board and make it harder for stains to penetrate.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 2:55 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Well, ladies, I would like to report that lemon and salt has worked well. I was leary about the baking soda because I had done something like that before to the stain, and it spread, gah! Bu t I appreciate the idea, nubicy, and will use it on another stain on a plastic cutting board to check it out. But i will say after a few hours of lemon the stain has been reduced significantly. It is a bit dark in that spot still, but not gray like it was. I bet a day in the hot sun would make it invisible Swasson (I did try that after the baking soda episode, but realized the sun just isn't hot enough right now to kill this stain)! I plan to blog about it in a day or two, after I reseal it, matobe. Check it out... www.mydirtykitchenfloor.blogspot.com
    donnareedonLSD

Comment by donnareedonLSD (original poster) at 8:37 PM on Oct. 30, 2010