How do I explain this to my daughter?

Her bio-father has not ever been in her life for the first 9 1/2 yrs of her life. She is almost 10 yrs old. They just started talking almost 3 weeks ago and last night on the phone he told her before he hung up that he loved her. She asked me why he said that since he has never been around. I told her that she would have to ask him since I can't answer for him. She also ask how someone could love someone without even knowing them.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:32 PM on Oct. 30, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• Let him answer these questions.

I would think it would be easy to love someone that you don't know if that someone is your child.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 2:43 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• I would talk about the bond between parent and child and maybe talk about how you felt when you were pregnant with her and the love you felt even though you hadn't met her yet.
    an-apple-a-day

Answer by an-apple-a-day at 2:40 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Your dd is so smart and yes she would have to ask him this question and she needs to tell him what she told you that will get him for missing all this time his dd is no dumb butt.
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 3:01 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Have her write down all the questions she has and that she's asked you about him. The next time they talk on the phone, have her ask him.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 3:16 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• he would have to answer it, but my thought is, maybe he never stopped loving her, but just couldn't for some reason or other be there for her.
    pinkrayn

Answer by pinkrayn at 3:16 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• I think its about time you tell he thes truth,if you are not ready for that why not answer by saying that hes a person who loves all people
    Yvette12363

Answer by Yvette12363 at 6:53 PM on Oct. 30, 2010