How would I make dinners before hand?

My SIL is due in Novemeber with her 3rd child and pretty much has everything she needs, I was thinking of premaking dinner(s) for her maybe like a lasagna or baked ziti and/or something else how would go about doing that, like do I put it together and freeze or cook it first and freeze ( I heard cooking it first was good but day before not freezed), any advice would be very appreciated, Thank you

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:46 PM on Oct. 30, 2010 in Food & Drink

• You cook then freeze. My parents prepare meals for my dad's parents, as my gramma has alzheimers and my grandpa doesn't have a clue how to cook LOL But they make meals once a week and then freeze them in those rubbermaid meal containers. Things like lasagna and pasta dishes freeze well. Also soups freeze great. You could freeze a couple dishes and make her a fresh dish for when she gets home. I know I had a friend do that for me, and it was awesome!! Plus, you could give her a gift of going over and cleaning for her. My one friend did this too, since it's hard while healing to clean floors and toilets and things.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 2:58 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• I think it really depends on the dish. When I make quiche to freeze ahead, I don't cook it and it bakes from frozen - cooked egg doesn't freeze well.

Here's a Good Housekeeping website that has some recipes for fix and freeze meals:

http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/food/quick/make-ahead-meal-recipes

Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 3:31 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• here is what I do .... Get foil baking pans from the dollar Tree, double the meals you make for your family, add leftovers to foil pans cover and put baking instructions on the lid or foil cover
    alotleft2do

Answer by alotleft2do at 5:29 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Oh Meat loaf is a great one too.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 6:15 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Get foil baking pans from the dollar Tree, double the meals you make for your family, add leftovers to foil pans cover and put baking instructions on the lid or foil cover

So you don't bake/cook it first...and are foil pans are ok to freeze or should I maybe wrap in plastic wrap as well?
    rhazel76

Answer by rhazel76 at 6:52 PM on Nov. 1, 2010